FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Trailers

Trailers

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Probably should have opened a new thread. I have successfully used a tow dolly but you cannot back it up and the car must have plates and insurance and if it is an automatic you must put it on backwards or remove the half-shafts. With either the 5-speed or the auto you need good tires. With a trailer you can tow it in any condition. Getting an enclosed trailer is great because you don;t have to worry about the weather but you need a large tow vehicle to handle it. The thing you must check is width, a Delorean is a wide car. Any car trailer can handle the weight and the length.
    Hey David, thanks for that info.

Yes, you're right, needs a new thread, so starting one now, my oversight. Hope that's ok with the Mods.

I had not considered a tow dolly because there may be other cars/stuff I want to haul (like a small tractor or household items). Also didn't consider an enclosed trailer, because I only have a small pickup, and thought an open style (with a ramp and rails) would be best (easy to load, least wind resistance, lower cost).

Thomas

Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I towed my D from NY to Florida on a 2-wheel tow dolly (u-haul) when I moved. I put the car on front first, unlocked the steering column and didn't bother removing the axles (5-speed). The biggest problem I had was the lowering springs. The car was simply too low and I couldn't get it on the dolly until I put stock springs back in the front. At that point, it went right on. It was a PITA to swap springs prior and then again post trip but other than that, no issues at all.
    -----Dan B.