FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: DMC Estimates. Need advice.

My VIN:    4665

Quote Originally Posted by tianlung4028 View Post
    About two grand higher than the estimate

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    OK, agreed. Significantly higher! I'd be questioning it too and would have expected they would have sought approval for that if it wasn't already written into your estimate agreement. Reach out to them and find out the circumstances. And come back and update this brain trust if you would. We would like to know.

My VIN:    04688

Quote Originally Posted by iflights View Post
    OK, agreed. Significantly higher! I'd be questioning it too and would have expected they would have sought approval for that if it wasn't already written into your estimate agreement. Reach out to them and find out the circumstances. And come back and update this brain trust if you would. We would like to know.
    Without getting into the gory details I've been messaging them for about a week now. They've said that "well, an estimate is just an estimate and it could mean more or less in the eyes of the law." but I mentioned that they didn't get approval for the additional cost and CA law says that no extra work can be charged without consent of the owner. I asked if DMC had a policy of asking owners for consent if the estimate is higher than a particular amount (like any other mechanic would) and didn't get a response.

So far they've come down a little bit but they're still asking for an amount that's higher than we've agreed upon.

I'm more disappointed because it's my first interaction with DMC and would rather not burn bridges but what they're doing is illegal and unethical.

Without bashing anyone in particular I just wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience.

Without getting into the gory details I've been messaging them for about a week now. They've said that "well, an estimate is just an estimate and it could mean more or less in the eyes of the law." but I mentioned that they didn't get approval for the additional cost and CA law says that no extra work can be charged without consent of the owner. I asked if DMC had a policy of asking owners for consent if the estimate is higher than a particular amount (like any other mechanic would) and didn't get a response.

So far they've come down a little bit but they're still asking for an amount that's higher than we've agreed upon.

I'm more disappointed because it's my first interaction with DMC and would rather not burn bridges but what they're doing is illegal and unethical.

Without bashing anyone in particular I just wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience.

It should also be noted that we had no communication whatsoever after the estimate was signed and the higher invoice was sent out. I wouldn't have minded if it needed more work but some sort of communication would have been nice.
    That being said, I'm not trying to bash any one company or person. I'm just trying to find out if anyone has had similar experience or if this is par for the course of Delorean ownership and work with DMC.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

And the total estimate was? Are we talking 15% over the original or 50%?

Not taking sides I just want the full story instead of begging for bits and pieces to be offered up only after asking. A little more detail would be nice as in what was the estinate and the total bill and what was the work performed that put you over the edge?
    Last edited by Michael; 03-28-2018 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    And the total estimate was? Are we talking 15% over the original or 50%?

Not taking sides I just want the full story instead of begging for bits and pieces to be offered up only after asking. A little more detail would be nice as in what was the estinate and the total bill and what was the work performed that put you over the edge?
    Certainly. The estimate that was signed was $6750. I got an invoice for $84XX. About $700 was for parts that he forgot to add to the estimate and the rest was for extra work to the car. So about a third higher than expected. They have since come down a bit to $7800 but my issue is the fact that I didn't approve the work or the cost and they should have reached out to me before completing the work.
    I had mentioned to them directly that I needed to do restoration work in stages as I was on a strict budget so that should have been informing enough.
    It's one thing to call in and say "oh, it's going to be more expensive than we expected, do you still want to continue?" It's another to do the work and bill me later.

It would be helpful to know what the extra work was. Was it something completely unrelated or an extension of a particular problem? For example - "fix the hard start problem" can lead to a lot of extra stuff if the original diagnosis is wrong. Or "fix everything that's broke" can be pretty open ended regardless of the original estimate.
    --
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Griese View Post
    It would be helpful to know what the extra work was. Was it something completely unrelated or an extension of a particular problem? For example - "fix the hard start problem" can lead to a lot of extra stuff if the original diagnosis is wrong. Or "fix everything that's broke" can be pretty open ended regardless of the original estimate.
    Sorry. Didn't see the last part there. Unapproved work:
    Drill out water pump bolts
    Drill out and tap tow top intake manifold bolts
    R&R intake manifold
    Ignition coil replacement
    R&R ignition coil
    Lambda relay
    R&r relay
    Lots of Ac parts. Pullies, spindles, etc. labor (about $300)

Forgotten parts:
    Hose kit for radiator.

Certainly. The estimate that was signed was $6750. I got an invoice for $84XX. About $700 was for parts that he forgot to add to the estimate and the rest was for extra work to the car. So about a third higher than expected. They have since come down a bit to $7800 but my issue is the fact that I didn't approve the work or the cost and they should have reached out to me before completing the work.
    I had mentioned to them directly that I needed to do restoration work in stages as I was on a strict budget so that should have been informing enough.
    It's one thing to call in and say "oh, it's going to be more expensive than we expected, do you still want to continue?" It's another to do the work and bill me later.

Your math is questionable at best. 8,400 minus 6,750 is 1,650 and that is hardly a third nor is it 2k over as you mentioned earlier. Now they have knocked it down to 7,800 so you are now within the margin of error and you still will not give details to my original question.

Edit I see ypu responded. Great. Almost everything mentioned is 100% legit. I dont know the details of the r+r for the coil and relay but it might have been necessary. The bolts breaking is probably the lion's share of the additional work and those are a nightmare nor can anyone forsee bolts rusted and frozen. There is your r+r intake right there. Froze bolts are just a PIA.

Woild iI have called you? YES but it's either fix it and pay me to remove all that crap and put it back without bolts and you pay someone else to do it or fix it now which is cheaper for you.
    Dammed if you do dammed if you don't and that is why I work for myself now.
    Last edited by Michael; 03-28-2018 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Your math is questionable at best. 8,400 minus 6,750 is 1,650 and that is hardly a third nor is it 2k over as you mentioned earlier. Now they have knocked it down to 7,800 so you are now within the margin of error and you still will not give details to my original question.

This is me pressing harder and asking 3 times now. Also I might add was tax added to your written estimate? I added tax to my estimates but some people do not. Still not taking sides but my pry bar is bending
    Forgive me for rounding. The original estimate that I signed is $6749.23. higher invoice sent out was $8453.51. The lowered invoice was for $7878.63. All invoices include tax and labor. And I previously mentioned in a previous post what the extra work was.

There is no margin in estimates, as California law states. Some states have other rules, California does not. Whatever put on an estimate once signed turns into a work order. Any changes must be approved by the owner (which they were not).

Edit: I'm more upset that there was no effort made to contact me and get approval for the job. I have no doubt that the car needed it but I'm angry about the fact that no communication was made to at least tell me that it was going to be more expensive and ask if I wanted to continue.

As with most things it boils down to consent. Lol

Last edited by tianlung4028; 03-28-2018 at 02:33 PM.

Forgive me for rounding. The original estimate that I signed is $6749.23. higher invoice sent out was $8453.51. The lowered invoice was for $7878.63. All invoices include tax and labor. And I previously mentioned in a previous post what the extra work was.

There is no margin in estimates, as California law states. Some states have other rules, California does not. Whatever put on an estimate once signed turns into a work order. Any changes must be approved by the owner (which they were not).

Still nowhere near 1/3 or 2k over. Your math needs help.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast