FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: DMC Estimates. Need advice.

My VIN:    04688

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Still nowhere near 1/3 or 2k over. Your math needs help.
    Lol. Forgive my math. It wasn't my strongest suit in school. But you understand my point?

Edit: I did say about 2 grand in my original post because I didn't have the paperwork in front of me.
    Last edited by tianlung4028; 03-28-2018 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tianlung4028 View Post
    Sorry. Didn't see the last part there. Unapproved work:
    Drill out water pump bolts
    Drill out and tap tow top intake manifold bolts
    R&R intake manifold
    Ignition coil replacement
    R&R ignition coil
    Lambda relay
    R&r relay
    Lots of Ac parts. Pullies, spindles, etc. labor (about $300)

Forgotten parts:
    Hose kit for radiator.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    That's what they did. I went back through the thread, but still can't figure out what you asked them to do? From this list, it looks like a general tuneup, fix the A/C, and find that squeak, and fix those leaks.

Broken bolts happen. They have to be fixed or you tow your car home. Some things are best done "while you are in there" to take advantage of labor done for other purposes. Those should have been mentioned as recommendations on the estimate, but if you choose not to do them, you get to pay labor again later.

A question. If the estimate had been for the full amount, with an allowance for broken bolts, etc., would you still have had the work done or would you have gone somewhere else that didn't add allowances for broken bolts, etc.?
    --
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Griese View Post
    That's what they did. I went back through the thread, but still can't figure out what you asked them to do? From this list, it looks like a general tuneup, fix the A/C, and find that squeak, and fix those leaks.

Broken bolts happen. They have to be fixed or you tow your car home. Some things are best done "while you are in there" to take advantage of labor done for other purposes. Those should have been mentioned as recommendations on the estimate, but if you choose not to do them, you get to pay labor again later.

A question. If the estimate had been for the full amount, with an allowance for broken bolts, etc., would you still have had the work done or would you have gone somewhere else that didn't add allowances for broken bolts, etc.?
    I originally put the car in the shop as the car is a new purchase and wanted to get it checked out. After doing an inspection they gave me an estimate to make the car new again (some $50k). After I told them I wouldn't be doing that to concentrate on the mechanicals. They then forwarded me an estimate of some $12,000 to get the car drivable (rounding now as I don't have the original handy). From there I told them I was on a strict budget and needed to do the repairs in stages and felt comfortable with that 67xx.xx number.

Realizing that the car wouldn't be safe driving back home I told them that I would trailer the vehicle back. The main difference between the 67xx.xx estimate and the 12,000 was a brake job and trailing arm bolts.

Overarching question to the group: This was my first impression of DMC CA. Can I expect disregard from DMC on estimate communication in the future or was this just a one time human error? Because right now I don't really trust DMC to do work on my car and they don't seem to have a company policy on seeking additional approval from owners for costs above the estimate.

Larry

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My VIN:    under 1500

If I was to give someone $8400, I would expect the following done at the least:

- new engine installed, or old engine removed from car and rebuilt from ground up, new seals/gaskets, new starter and alternator, new injectors, new water pump, new hoses, new belts, new engine mounts...
    - transmission removed from car with engine, wear-components replaced, new clutch
    - four new brake rotors and pads
    - four new tires

At $8,400, you should be able to open the engine compartment and everything should look different.

My VIN:    3294

Can't really speak of DMC CA, but my experience the both times my car has spent at DMC Midwest was completely different than yours. I ended up spending more money than planned each time I took it there, but they always called me and said, "Hey, while we're in here..... do you want this done?" Even sent me photos of the old parts to show what and why they needed replacing. In my case, I live just outside of Nashville, Tennessee and taking my car to DMC Midwest outside of Chicago is no easy feat. It takes planning, time scheduled off from work, lining up a trailer (if it's not drive-able), etc. The last time I took it there, I took it specifically to have them replace an automatic transmission cooling hose that I snapped off while working on my car in my garage. Mike and Suzy called me later that day and said, "your heat shield needs replacing, the drive axles need repacking and new boots, and do you want to to do anything about these exhaust manifold gaskets?" I knew it all needed to be done, and while I'm semi-mechanically inclined with tools... it's what they do for a living. Nobody really knows these cars better than the DMC franchises and P.J. Grady's. Yes, I spent my yearly "Delorean budget" in one shot, but the difference between my experience and yours is THEY CALLED and asked first.

In your case, broken bolts are a pain in the ass and can take some time to fix correctly. I snapped several of mine doing the "valley of death" cleanup. If you don't know what you're doing.. a 1/16" slip up with a drill means the difference between drilling into the water jacket of the engine or not.

Communication is key.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

My VIN:    10907

I had my engine overhauled there and a bunch of block rot cleaned out, and it came in pretty close to the estimate. I'd already had a bunch of work done at a local shop so they'd probably already dealt with the rusted bolts and stuff.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by May81DeLorean View Post
    If I was to give someone $8400, I would expect the following done at the least:

- new engine installed, .
    You haven't see DeLorean engine prices in a while. Maybe for a small block Chevy.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Having read the additional details, I would pay the additional amount for the work performed without any ill-will toward DMC-CA. The description of the additional work doesn't strike me as a ploy to take advantage of you, and the amount is right at 25% higher than the original estimate. I wouldn't consider it significantly higher. Additionally, it's not the case here where the bill was increased, but the work performed remained the same. You did incur additional benefit in exchange for the higher bill; for example, your intake manifold bolts and water pump bolts will be easy to remove and service in the future.

It would be senseless to ruin your relationship with a well-established local DMC vendor over this amount of money. You will need them many more times in the future, and this community is small.

To look at it from another point of view, if DMC-CA had asked for your consent to do these additional things, would you have declined? I wouldn't have. Drilling out stuck bolts in an engine is painstaking work, and it seems to me that this represents the bulk of the higher bill.

tl;dr version: Pay the bill.

My VIN:    10309

I don't think you are going to get any sympathy from the guys in the business. The point still is, if it's going to cost more than the estimate they legally have to
    call and get permission to do it. If they have done this kind of work before, which is why you went to them in the first place, they should know that when they have
    taken off intake manifolds in the past they break bolts. It should have been made part of the estimate and if you're very lucky and don't break anything then you make out.
    They wanted to keep the estimate low enough to get you in to start the work. An honest mechanic particularly one who specializes in a difficult car like a Delorean will
    have the experience to know it's going to take extra time to work on a car that is brought in that hasn't been well maintained and likely will have rusty bolts especially
    around the water pump and intake manifold.
    You don't have a small claims case but you have a valid gripe to send in to the mechanic licensing division of California. However, don't forget, you will never get
    an appointment for future work there.

Thank you all for your responses and feedback. I just wanted to be clear, I fully intend to pay DMC for their work and time. I'm not a deadbeat. I was just curious if doing work above and beyond the estimate before getting approval from the owner was a standard procedure for DMC. It appears, and I hope, that this incident was just a comedy of errors rather than a systemic problem with DMC. I am a little disappointed that this episode was my first experience with DMC and I hope I won't have this problem again in the future.
    I am a little hesitant, however, to take my car back to DMC-CA as I feel that they have damaged my trust by not getting approval first before doing the work, something that a part time mechanic knows. I know that the community is small and I appreciate their knowledge and resources. Maybe with future communication we can work these issues out.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast