FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is a Porsche 928 V8 a possible engine swap?

My VIN:    4372

Is a Porsche 928 V8 a possible engine swap?

Hi everyone,

I was pondering a hypothetical today that I'm sure many BTTF Delorean owners have pondered: since the movie dubbed over the stock V6 with the Porsche 928 V8 engine sounds, how cool would it be if that actual engine was in the DeLorean? Anyone with way more knowledge than me, is this physically possible to do given size of engine vs. the engine compartment in the D?

Thanks!
    Mike

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Yes.

My VIN:    4372

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Yes.
    Haha /thread

I'm guess I'm slightly surprised I haven't heard of more of these swaps happening, I wonder if it's a highly complex swap and it's just not worth the effort.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by ramiel05 View Post
    Haha /thread

I'm guess I'm slightly surprised I haven't heard of more of these swaps happening, I wonder if it's a highly complex swap and it's just not worth the effort.
    You'd be taking out a somewhat finicky engine and replacing it with an even more finicky engine that doesn't fit very well and uses much more expensive parts.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I love threads like this.

My VIN:    10309

The Porsche 928 engine doesn't bolt up to the transmission it has a tube that holds the driveshaft that goes to the rear axle where the transmission is located. This is to provide a 50/50 weight distribution. I don't know if the engine can be directly bolted to the transmission or to the Delorean transmission. Why?

My VIN:    6125

I think the real question is: Could you swap the 928 engine into a Honda S2000, and then somehow graft DeLorean body panels onto the S2K for that sweet, sweet handling.

Or something.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?14...l=1#post211916

I'm not familiar with the 928 engine in terms of its bellhousing pattern (if it even has one bearing in mind it's installation in the 928 ). If it would mate up to a 911 transaxle you could have a viable swap on your hands. I just don't know if that would work. I presume the propshaft spins at engine speed and the clutch/bellhousing is in the rear transaxle in a 928 ?? If you used a stand alone engine management system you could be rid of a lot of the complexities of adapting the porsche wiring etc.
    If I remember correctly, John approached Porsche initially to assist with development of the car, but due to their cost and/or timescale he turned to Lotus. If that's correct, then I guess a 928 engine swap could be regarded as a "what might have been" conversion - especially if you used era correct '79 or '80 928/911 parts. That's more of a reason to do it than the BTTF sound dub-over in my eyes.
    I'm definitely not saying it's a great idea, and no way the best bang for your buck conversion, but would certainly be interesting.
    To me, if it mates up to the 911 transaxle then it's viable and if not I'd drop the idea. Just my 2c.
    Last edited by Robmac123; 03-31-2018 at 11:28 PM.

Is a Porsche 928 V8 a possible engine swap?

As a Delorean owner, and a 928 owner for many years I feel obliged to chip in.

The early 928 engines are aluminum, and use bosch K-jetronic, as the Delorean. I think it would make an interesting sort of period correct conversion.

928 engines are simple and strong, no particular issues, but it is an overhead cam engine with a timing belt that needs to be replaced. 928 engines come in a large variety of horse power and displacement, and can be bought relatively cheap. They can take galactic mileage, and the cylinders practically never wear out.

The clutch sits on the flywheel directly on the engine like any other car.

I’ve seen a 914 using a 928 engine, but I don’t know what they did for transmission.

On the other hand what I would like to see in a delorean is a Subaru flat six with a Subaru transmission on it. That would be interesting. Light and lower center of gravity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My VIN:    02855

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Gruffalo View Post
    As a Delorean owner, and a 928 owner for many years I feel obliged to chip in.

The early 928 engines are aluminum, and use bosch K-jetronic, as the Delorean. I think it would make an interesting sort of period correct conversion.

928 engines are simple and strong, no particular issues, but it is an overhead cam engine with a timing belt that needs to be replaced. 928 engines come in a large variety of horse power and displacement, and can be bought relatively cheap. They can take galactic mileage, and the cylinders practically never wear out.

The clutch sits on the flywheel directly on the engine like any other car.

/\/\/\/\/\ Correct.

I own an 81 928 and an 81 Delorean. I have thought of this too.

Early 928 engines are 4.5 L and in US spec are 220 HP and about 500 lbs.
    The engine casting is similar to a PRV, with a griddle to hold in place the crank and main bearings.
    there is a bellhousing that encases the flywheel and the clutch, or flex plate on Auto cars.
    Im sure that with an adaptor plate the Renault trans in a Delorean could mate up.
    both use a pilot bearing in the center of the crank to locate the transmission or drive shaft.

the 928 engine is narrow at the bottom and wide at the top, so that would seem to fit well between the frame rails.

There was 6 versions of the 928 engine (All Alusil block)

4.5L with CIS- 78-79 16V 219 HP
    4.5 with L-jet (AFM) 80-81 16V 220 HP
    4.7L with L-jet (AFM) 82-84 16V 234hP
    5.0 with motronic (MAF) 85-86 32V 288 HP
    5.0 with motronic (MAF) 87-91 32V 320 HP
    5.4 with motronic (from GTS) 32V 93-95 360 HP

928 engines are not that bad or complex. they just all suffer from 30 year old car syndrome and poor upkeep. Yes, the timing belt is like 6 ft long on 32V cars and the water pumps need attention every 10 years or so, but remember this was a super car and before we ever saw the 100K intervals we see on todays cars. Parts are way more expensive but readily available from Porsche or many secondary suppliers. There is also a huge used parts resource with placed like 928 International. You cant beat the smooth, fat torque curve of the 928 V-8. the S4s pull hard well up to 160 Mph.
    Last edited by mark w; 04-01-2018 at 08:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast