FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tracing Down Annoying Gasoline Smell

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Tracing Down Annoying Gasoline Smell

I've been having problems with an occasional fresh gasoline smell. I ruled out any leaks in the engine from any fuel hoses. The gas cap is firmly on and no gas smell from there. The strongest gas smell comes from the fuel pump itself. The hoses to the fuel pump and metal fuel line are tight and dry. The top of the fuel pump is dry. The only thing I can find is there appears to be some gas between the fuel pump and the rubber boot where the fuel pump goes into the tank. The rubber boot seems to be in fine shape, not hard or anything. Anyone hav this issue and how to fix this?
    Shannon

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

I know one thing you're not supposed to do is top off the car and that could be a result of getting a little bit of fuel coming out from there where you stated and also another source of a fuel smell which I notice on my car from time to time is the little vent that sits behind the inspection panels where the fuel tank fill-up tube goes into and there's a little vent that sits in there I need to check that on mine because like I said every so often when it's really hot outside I can smell the fuel just after I fill up and I have no leaks whatsoever and I traced the smell to that location I just haven't had a chance to check it yet

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Dietrich View Post
    I know one thing you're not supposed to do is top off the car and that could be a result of getting a little bit of fuel coming out from there where you stated and also another source of a fuel smell which I notice on my car from time to time is the little vent that sits behind the inspection panels where the fuel tank fill-up tube goes into and there's a little vent that sits in there I need to check that on mine because like I said every so often when it's really hot outside I can smell the fuel just after I fill up and I have no leaks whatsoever and I traced the smell to that location I just haven't had a chance to check it yet

That's not the issue. I haven't topped off the gas tank for quite a while. But you bring up an idea. Perhaps I should check the connection of the fuel filler tube to the tank.
    Shannon

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    That's not the issue. I haven't topped off the gas tank for quite a while. But you bring up an idea. Perhaps I should check the connection of the fuel filler tube to the tank.
    Yeah you can try that. Remove that inspection panel and check your vent thats inside there also.

Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

My favorite way to find random leaks in that area is to fill the tank normally, take out the spare and remove the tank cover. Go out and hit the brakes hard from at least 10 mph. That puts a lot of upwards pressure in the pump area and you'll find leaks that may otherwise evaporate too quickly to find when you get home.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    My favorite way to find random leaks in that area is to fill the tank normally, take out the spare and remove the tank cover. Go out and hit the brakes hard from at least 10 mph. That puts a lot of upwards pressure in the pump area and you'll find leaks that may otherwise evaporate too quickly to find when you get home.
    This has always been my method as well, except I've taken the tire and cover off before filling up. Then just watch the top of the tank when it reaches full. For me it was always a little bit seeping out at the fuel sender.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Tracing Down Annoying Gasoline Smell

Deleted suggestion already mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DMC5180; 03-30-2018 at 02:55 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you see ANY fuel in the pump boot around the fuel pump, the fuel pump is corroded on it's outer case and the boot has deteriorated. Or the connections to the fuel pump are leaking. In any case there should be NO fuel in that area. Take it all apart and replace the boots and clean the outside of the fuel pump. Replace the copper seals and if the wiring looks bad replace it too. Also check the fuel sender, they can leak too.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    3937

There are some good pictures and background info of the rollover valve you mentioned in this thread: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?14...rollover+valve

As well as some good discussion and a few more photos of other people using Dave's fuel leak searching-stomp on the brakes technique here: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?14...ir-Vents/page2

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Fuel Filler Area (Large).jpg

Here is the picture of the fue filler area. What is the white thing? And where is the vent ?
    Shannon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast