FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: DMC Northwest?

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    A big reason PJ Grady can live "only" working on Deloreans is that he has a low operating cost. He has been in it since the beginning and most of his original costs (tools, shop equipment, lifts, etc) have been paid off long ago. Any new shop has to bear all of those costs at today's prices, a BIG hurdle to overcome. PJ Grady also has built up a large, loyal following and has a good reputation. Another big thing working against any new shop and it takes years to develop that. He also doesn't have a fancy, expensive shop so his overhead is low. Rob also bought up all of the dealer inventories he could so he has a large inventory. On top of all of that he has developed many new and improved parts for the Delorean which he sells to other Delorean shops and owners. By not being part of the DMC family he can buy the best parts at the best prices and pass that savings on to the owners. This is the best part for all Delorean owners. By having other sources of parts it provides competition which keeps everyone competitive with pricing. Without competition DMC could charge almost whatever they wanted. The downside is while parts prices may stay low that causes the value of the Delorean to also remain low. If parts prices got high and it would cost a LOT to fix up a Delorean, any good, running Delorean would be worth more because it doesn't require a lot of expensive parts to fix it up. Can't have it both ways, cheap parts and high values. Look at a brand like Porsche. Parts prices are ridiculous making those cars expensive even though they made tons of them.
    I'm not going to hijack this thread to make it about P.J.Grady but please don't assume my operating cost is low as we are still in New York. Taxs, permits, fees, more taxs. That's why I'm considering relocating dispite 104 years as a family business on Long Island. Lots of history here but lots of fixed costs too. The only reason we can survive here is that we are totally established. That part you got right David!
    Rob Grady
    P.J.Grady Inc.
    Established 1914
    Last edited by PJ Grady Inc.; 04-08-2018 at 07:42 PM.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    I'm not going to hijack this thread to make it about P.J.Grady but please don't assume my operating cost is low as we are still in New York. Taxs, permits, fees, more taxs. That's why I'm considering relocating dispite 104 years as a family business on Long Island. Lots of history here but lots of fixed costs too. The only reason we can survive here is that we are totally established. That part you got right David!
    Rob Grady
    P.J.Grady Inc.
    Established 1914
    But you're wrong Rob! DT's information came from the workshop manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Maybe in the thick soup of owners in Texas and tons of publicity, making a nice living off of servicing only DeLoreans is as easy as snapping your fingers, but try doing it in a mostly cold and rainy climate in a small corner of the country and see how long that "DeLoreans Only" conviction stands when you have the bank chomping at the bit to take your entire life from you.
    I've been thinking more about this one, having just moved a the end of February. I used to live in northern Akron, OH, and yeah if their parades are anything to judge by, DeLoreans are not at all uncommon in the area, a fact I'm sure helped by DPI being right next door and literally one turn away from Summit Racing (a route I have travelled on occasion). But now I live in Cleveland, OH outskirts and it dawned on me: where the hell did all the Audis go?

Yeah I know, you mentioned DeLoreans, but they were absolutely rampant in Akron, and I would travel through the midst of Akron frequently to get to doctors and such. My parents-in-law live in Cleveland, and the Cadillacs, BMW's, even the occasional Mercedes made regular appearances there, but same in Akron. Audis just dropped off the face of the earth. Here's a brand of car they've made hundreds of thousands of, available quite readily in both areas, and they seemingly only exist in Akron, OH. So all it takes for a car to go from common to extinct is 45 minutes? Gee, no wonder franchises six hours apart can't seem to find the "sweet spot" yet!

(Also, Akron's weather is not terribly worse than Cleveland's, it's just that Akron has quicker snow plow response time, so the difference appears larger than it actually is. Cleveland is just shittier in general and my suburb is happy to distance themselves whenever possible)

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    But you're wrong Rob! DT's information came from the workshop manual.
    Well if that's true that would be dated information? I'll just call David and twist his ear a bit. We get along rather well and I would love to tell him his info is stale!
    Rob Grady

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5