FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Rivnut vs Plusnut

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

Rivnut vs Plusnut

Rivnuts are a great idea except when they don't work. I've generally come to hate them.

One problem I suspect many here experienced is the bolt/screw and rivnut creating a strong corrosion bond (stronger than the Rivnut to fiberglass bond) resulting in the rivnut rotating when trying to remove the bolt/screw. None-the-less, there is a need for blind nut installations.

While looking for ways to mount stuff to a recumbent trike (Catrike Road), I came across this discussion of Rivnuts Vs Plusnuts and thought I'd share: http://www.pointsunknown.com/blog/20...s-vs-plusnuts/ BTW ... since I need to install in tubes, orienting the "+" properly provides even more anti-rotation protection.

Plusnut:
    Plusnut m.jpg

It seems to me that a Plusnut would be less prone to rotation
    in DeLorean/fiberglass applications
    given that both are properly installed and a better alternative to using Rivnuts. Looks like they would grab the fiberglass better. I could see using them with a bit of epoxy on the sides to bond to the fiberglass for even more hold. .... And then use some form of anti-seize compound on the threads.

Thoughts? Has anyone tried them?

Edit: Other names for these are jacknuts, cross nuts, cruss nut (maybe).
    Edit: Another alternative for DeLorean applications is EZ Blind Nuts. These require larger hole and are like a toggle bolt.
    Last edited by nkemp; 04-05-2018 at 10:22 AM.
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".