FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Slow car...

My VIN:    01598

Club(s):   (DCH)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Disclaimer: I'm not a K-Jet mixture guru. Am just pointing to advice from the exhaust kit vendor here.

Question: Did you take notice of the advice DeLorean UK lists for installation of their kit? They explain some fuel delivery/pressure adjustments. (noting that these adjustment methods probably don't apply with the cat conv in place - DeLorean UK can answer in any case). I see you did a CO tweak.

https://www.deloreango.com/us/stainless-exhaust.html

After installation [of their no-cat headers/exhaust] you will want to adjust the fuel mixture - if you haven't already got a mixture adjustment screw bung then you'll want one of these (see below). The simple technique is - turn screw right until the engine dies, then turn screw left until the engine dies, then turn it back to the middle of those 2 points, and insert the bung. You should also re-shim the primary pressure regulator to 5.4bar to get the most out of this system - see the K-Jet shim kit.
    I asked about this when I bought the new fuel distributor... He said it was not necessary when the fuel distributor was new... But maybe I was not clear about owning the exhaust as well..

Sent fra min F5321 via Tapatalk
    Svein Apeland

1981 DMC DeLorean DMC-12, VIN: 01598. Gas flap hood, manual transmission, black interior, wide stripe, galvanized frame, Spax shocks and UK club exhaust.
    x1973 Plymouth Road Runner
    x1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
    x1975 Chevrolet El Camino
    x1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring
    x1966 Lincoln Continental
    x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

I asked again. Only the fuel mixture needed adjustment.

Svein Apeland

1981 DMC DeLorean DMC-12, VIN: 01598. Gas flap hood, manual transmission, black interior, wide stripe, galvanized frame, Spax shocks and UK club exhaust.
    x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Did you drive the car before the frame off?

Meaning - does it seem slow compared to driving it before the frame off, or just compared to other cars ?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Yes I did, it is a few years ago though. Remember it as beeing more responsive.

Svein Apeland

x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

My VIN:    No. 4068

Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
    I asked about this when I bought the new fuel distributor... He said it was not necessary when the fuel distributor was new... But maybe I was not clear about owning the exhaust as well..

Just to note that the oxygen sensor electrical connection (located at the rear of the firewall under the drivers side wooden board behind the grey rubber plug) needs disconnecting first to set the frequency valve to 50% before doing the fuel adjustment. (You can refit it afterwards if you so wish for a bit of extra fuel economy)

The shim of the fuel distributor primary pressure to 5.4 bar (78 psi) compensates for leaning off at higher rev range for the UK exhaust.

I would recommend you also get an emission reading as one adjusted with a non catalysed exhaust, you'll likely to get a reading between 1.0 to 1.5% CO and HC less than 250-300ppm. Any higher then further investigation on the injectors is required.

I'll assume you've checked the vac operation at the Control Pressure Regulator!
    Last edited by NckT; 04-08-2018 at 03:58 AM.
    RIP Rob van de Veer Top bloke

I say Sir, I must be mad, one loves fixing K-Jet !

Make sure there's plenty in the tank for the weekend chaps....

First I will check vacuum on CPR (i guess procedure is well covered on this forum), disconnect the O2 sensor and adjust fuel mixture with a dwell meter. I think we only have an electrical multi meter that does this. Not sure if this one shows in degrees og %. If it does the opposite of what the manual says, any idea on how to convert the values?

Svein Apeland

x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
    First I will check vacuum on CPR (i guess procedure is well covered on this forum), disconnect the O2 sensor and adjust fuel mixture with a dwell meter. I think we only have an electrical multi meter that does this. Not sure if this one shows in degrees og %. If it does the opposite of what the manual says, any idea on how to convert the values?

With the O2 sensor disconnected, the lambda ECU will hold the FV at 50% duty cycle no mater what mixture you set. So you can not use a dwell to set mixture with the O2 disconnected.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    With the O2 sensor disconnected, the lambda ECU will hold the FV at 50% duty cycle no mater what mixture you set. So you can not use a dwell to set mixture with the O2 disconnected.
    Ok, Thanks!

Svein Apeland

x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

My VIN:    No. 4068

Quote Originally Posted by NckT View Post
    Just to note that the oxygen sensor electrical connection (located at the rear of the firewall under the drivers side wooden board behind the grey rubber plug) needs disconnecting first to set the frequency valve to 50% before doing the fuel adjustment. (You can refit it afterwards if you so wish for a bit of extra fuel economy)

The shim of the fuel distributor primary pressure to 5.4 bar (78 psi) compensates for leaning off at higher rev range for the UK exhaust.

I would recommend you also get an emission reading as one adjusted with a non catalysed exhaust, you'll likely to get a reading between 1.0 to 1.5% CO and HC less than 250-300ppm. Any higher then further investigation on the injectors is required.

I'll assume you've checked the vac operation at the Control Pressure Regulator!
    Just to clarify, as with Bitsyncmaster, if you use a dwell meter, connect the oxygen sensor. If you want to follow the text described on the deloreango website for "rule of thumb basic setting", the oxygen sensor needs disconnecting.
    RIP Rob van de Veer Top bloke

I say Sir, I must be mad, one loves fixing K-Jet !

Make sure there's plenty in the tank for the weekend chaps....

I see I have a different CPR... Any input on this?

Svein Apeland

x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast