FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Slow car...

My VIN:    01598

Club(s):   (DCH)

Slow car...

Im getting finished with my frame off restoration. Was out driving my car yesterday, and cant help feeling it is slower than it should. No problem getting it to go fast, but it takes time getting there. 0-60 takes a while... I know they are not superfast, but I guess it should be quicker. Tha car runs and idles fine, but is shooting flames sometimes and It feels like it is blowing back in the intake also at times. Any idea what does this? While cheking around i smelled fuel. It was the short frequency valve hose that was sweating/leaking. I have changed the fuel hoses, but this was not in the kit. I had a new one that came with the car, had not been used but was old. Im going to order new stainless braided frequency valve hoses, and wonder if I need something more. Engine has been overhauled by a serious company. New crankshaft, cams, pistons/liners and chain with accessories. I bought a new fuel distributor, injectors, injector gaskets and clips, stainless braided fuel lines, fuel pump, fuel filter, accumulator, relays, resistor, plugs, plugwires, cap and rotor, temperatur sensor, oil pressure sensor, idle valve, new o ring for the pipes in the intake (pipe of agony), engine harness, main harness, lambda sensor, idle speed switch, vacuum solenoid and vacuum hoses...

Sent fra min F5321 via Tapatalk
    Svein Apeland

1981 DMC DeLorean DMC-12, VIN: 01598. Gas flap hood, manual transmission, black interior, wide stripe, galvanized frame, Spax shocks and UK club exhaust.
    x1973 Plymouth Road Runner
    x1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
    x1975 Chevrolet El Camino
    x1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring
    x1966 Lincoln Continental
    x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
    Im getting finished with my frame off restoration. Was out driving my car yesterday, and cant help feeling it is slower than it should. No problem getting it to go fast, but it takes time getting there. 0-60 takes a while... I know they are not superfast, but I guess it should be quicker. Tha car runs and idles fine, but is shooting flames sometimes and It feels like it is blowing back in the intake also at times. Any idea what does this? While cheking around i smelled fuel. It was the short frequency valve hose that was sweating/leaking. I have changed the fuel hoses, but this was not in the kit. I had a new one that came with the car, had not been used but was old. Im going to order new stainless braided frequency valve hoses, and wonder if I need something more. Engine has been overhauled by a serious company. New crankshaft, cams, pistons/liners and chain with accessories. I bought a new fuel distributor, injectors, injector gaskets and clips, stainless braided fuel lines, fuel pump, fuel filter, accumulator, relays, resistor, plugs, plugwires, cap and rotor, temperatur sensor, oil pressure sensor, idle valve, new o ring for the pipes in the intake (pipe of agony), engine harness, main harness, lambda sensor, idle speed switch, vacuum solenoid and vacuum hoses...

I have adjusted engine timing, and I can hear the frequency valve buzzing. I adjusted the CO until it ran best. I was gonna check the CO at work on Monday, but it will have to wait till i get new frequency valve hoses.

Svein Apeland

1981 DMC DeLorean DMC-12, VIN: 01598. Gas flap hood, manual transmission, black interior, wide stripe, galvanized frame, Spax shocks and UK club exhaust.
    x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

My VIN:    03572

I have adjusted engine timing, and I can hear the frequency valve buzzing. I adjusted the CO until it ran best. I was gonna check the CO at work on Monday, but it will have to wait till i get new frequency valve hoses.

If you adjust the mixture by ear for best idle, your probably set to rich.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    If you adjust the mixture by ear for best idle, your probably set to rich.
    That is probably correct, but it has some backfiring when i make it leaner as welll.. and poor performance.

I have also changed my exhaust to the uk exhaust without a catalytic converter.
    Svein Apeland

x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

If that FV line is sweating then it's a VERY short trip to a high pressure fuel leak and the FV is right over the exhaust manifold so if it is even thinking about leaking, I would not drive it until it's replaced. Once the fuel leak is fixed then you can set your mixture with a meter and go from there with further diagnosis if the problem still exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    If that FV line is sweating then it's a VERY short trip to a high pressure fuel leak and the FV is right over the exhaust manifold so if it is even thinking about leaking, I would not drive it until it's replaced. Once the fuel leak is fixed then you can set your mixture with a meter and go from there with further diagnosis if the problem still exists.
    The car is beeing left alone in the garage till I get new hoses. I don't want to see it burn! So if I understand you correct, even the fuel sweating around the frequency valve could have an impact on the performance?

Svein Apeland

x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

My VIN:    03572

Changing the exhaust or fixing vacuum, leaks will change the mixture setting.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

The car is beeing left alone in the garage till I get new hoses. I don't want to see it burn! So if I understand you correct, even the fuel sweating around the frequency valve could have an impact on the performance?

The FV directly controls the lower chamber in the distributor so I would imagine that any leak there is not only a fire hazard but would make it impossible to get an accurate mixture setting.

Thanks guys! I will change the hoses, and get the mixture set at work afterwards.

Svein Apeland

x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I have also changed my exhaust to the uk exhaust without a catalytic converter.
    Disclaimer: I'm not a K-Jet mixture guru. Am just pointing to advice from the exhaust kit vendor here.

Question: Did you take notice of the advice DeLorean UK lists for installation of their kit? They explain some fuel delivery/pressure adjustments. (noting that these adjustment methods probably don't apply with the cat conv in place - DeLorean UK can answer in any case). I see you did a CO tweak.

https://www.deloreango.com/us/stainless-exhaust.html

After installation [of their no-cat headers/exhaust] you will want to adjust the fuel mixture - if you haven't already got a mixture adjustment screw bung then you'll want one of these (see below). The simple technique is - turn screw right until the engine dies, then turn screw left until the engine dies, then turn it back to the middle of those 2 points, and insert the bung. You should also re-shim the primary pressure regulator to 5.4bar to get the most out of this system - see the K-Jet shim kit.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast