FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: K&N performance air filter

Club(s):   (DCF)

K&N performance air filter

Anyone used this filter in their Delorean? Did it have good results?

http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean...filter-K&N.jpg

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I've had mine for years with no problems you will not have any "results". The HP gain is next to nothing..some would argue it's non existent and others would say the K+N actually hurts you more than it helps you.

I read a pretty convincing test using OE vs aftermarket vs. K+N and the OE filters performed best for filtration and air flow, (can't remember the car or engine that was used in the study..it's in Google land though).

People will chime in, David T will tech you out, Vegas will write a book, but I don't think you need to put a lot of thought into it. If you believe in them go for it but you are just as good using a good paper filter.

My VIN:    <2000

Hi there,

I have one on my car, in fact, that's one of the first parts I get for all my cars. Like Michael said, you probably won't notice any difference on the 130 hp Delorean, but I think anything helps. I have experienced noticeable improvements on higher horsepower cars. Perhaps a K&N combined with a cold air intake will give some noticeable gains?

image.jpg

On my Camaro, I used that combo, and I noticed a significant improvement, especially revving up and down. You can actually hear the air induction when you "tramp on it". K&N literature suggests that it increases power from 400 to 418. Not huge, but noticeable.

image.jpg

So, when I got the D, I knew that it will probably help, even if it's not noticeable. In my opinion, it's $40 well spent.

Cheers!
    Last edited by DMC-81; 09-04-2016 at 10:36 AM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

the only thing the k&n drop in filter will do is give you a filter you can clean

no performance increase.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    the only thing the k&n drop in filter will do is give you a filter you can clean
    I was under the impression no cleaning or maintenance was required or recommended.

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    3937

I don't believe you can still get a K&N filter.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    <2000

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post

no performance increase.
    Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    I was under the impression no cleaning or maintenance was required or recommended.

Cheers
    Steven

Yes, this filter can be cleaned. The cleaning interval is approximately 100,000 miles, so it's not often. To clean, you simply spray the dirt and old (red color) filter charge oil out with a garden hose, let it dry, and then spray new oil on, just don't go overboard on the new oil, or use pressurized water or compressed air as you can damage the filter element. You can get this kit at your favorite auto parts store:
    image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I don't believe you can still get a K&N filter.
    I think you can. Just search K&N 33-2726 . They are around $40. I found DMC had a better price so I got mine there.

As far as performance goes, I had mine on when I first started driving my car, so I didn't feel the difference. But I know mine is peppy, with quick revving.

I'm not trying to be a religious zealot, but I have literally felt the before and after difference in the filter on a Corvette and Magnum. The addition of a cold air kit in the Camaro was even more so. That's why I automatically installed one on the D before even driving it.

This thread reminds me... the Magnum filter will need to be cleaned soon, as it is at ~90K

Cheers,
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

OP - you will normally get a larger response if you post questions in the General Discussion area as many forum members will only check that sub-forum first.

The FAQ subforum, like the FAQ section on any other website is to look up answers to "Frequently Asked Questions" not to ask fresh ones.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    5778

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

I got mine off of Amazon. Took only a couple of days to get. K&N is to each his or her own. I generally put OEM airfilters on but have this just in case years from now, I need one.

https://www.amazon.com/33-2726-High-...=K%26N+33-2726

--Doug
    FB Page: #ProjectDelorean https://www.facebook.com/ProjectDelorean88mph
    Twitter: @projdelorean

"Back Before the Future"--the story before the story of a crazy dude trying to timetravel...kindof like expedia...only bumpier...

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    ...Vegas will write a book....

On a more serious note, not always, and not in this case especially.

There are tons of different comparisons & tests out there, but I never use reusable air filters because of the fine dust and silt in the desert. It's not a problem if you need the edge because you're actively competing for thousands of dollars of prize money in the Mint 400 or Baja 1,000 where you can then afford engine tear-downs to repair the damage. But I'm not about that life for a normal car. Especially modern ones with all the MAF & MAP sensors. So since I can't and won't use these filters, I've got nothin'.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast