FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Auction time (Barrett Jackson)

So three years ago when I bought my 1970 Mach 1 after my wife rejected my DeLorean proposition, I can now say, " I told you so!" ???

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Valley PD View Post
    So three years ago when I bought my 1970 Mach 1 after my wife rejected my DeLorean proposition, I can now say, " I told you so!" ???
    Won't touch this one with a 10" pole!

My VIN:    3028

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Yeah Heaven forbid there would actually be some growing appreciation for the marquee. No way anyone in their right mind would pay more than 30k for a stupid plastic car, lets blame alcohol and pride.
    I think you misunderstood my comment. I am baffled that these cars haven’t gone up as much as a 308. What I meant is if you look at these auctions, you will notice how people are presurred into bidding high by Steve Davis, who constantly gets on the microphone and tells people the bidding is too low.
    Barry

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyvonviggle View Post
    I think you misunderstood my comment. I am baffled that these cars haven’t gone up as much as a 308. What I meant is if you look at these auctions, you will notice how people are presurred into bidding high by Steve Davis, who constantly gets on the microphone and tells people the bidding is too low.
    Having owned a 308 a couple of years back, I can probably shed some light on why the 308s are valued higher than our DeLoreans.

• It's a Ferrari...
    • mid-engine high revving V8, sounds fantastic, ~250hp
    • car has great balance when pushed into a corner
    • never made an automatic
    • hand-built car, for better or worse...

Now there are a few similarities (production numbers, Hollywood notoriety, sleek design, and so on), but at the end of the day "F-cars" are always going to command a premium and while the 308 may not command the $ that say a 288 GTO or even a Testarossa may bring today, they will continue to appreciate over the long haul. I would say the biggest downside to owning a Ferrari is the maintenance and repairs cost. I purchased my 308 for $42k with 24k miles and in very-good to excellent condition. I had the car 2 years and spent over $7k in maintenance and repairs, some expected, some not expected. In that time I maybe put 1500 miles on the car. I sold the car for $64k when the market was hot. It's leveled-out a bit since then. I'm glad I had the experience and things worked out but I'm probably done with Ferrari ownership.

At least owning a DeLorean is one of those things where you can do DIY work, not having to worry about losing value. And the parts are a LOT less expensive.
    Jeff

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Does anyone ever go on a Ferrari page/forum and say, "I'm lookin' to buy a Ferrari, show me what you got and don't ask too much for it'?"

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    Does anyone ever go on a Ferrari page/forum and say, "I'm lookin' to buy a Ferrari, show me what you got and don't ask too much for it'?"
    I want the one Thomas Magnum drove around Hawaii in and I'm prepared to spend no more than 25k because I saw one sell on ebay last year for that amount. It has to be nice and all sorted out, I don't want a show car but it does need to be free of scratches and paint chips and it has to be very glossy. The interior can be used but no cracks or wear spots on the seats and no visible flaws. It doesn't have to be in perfect running condition but it does need to be in perfect running condition.

I know all about 308's and 328's I watched Magnum PI a lot so don't try to fool me. I know what they are worth.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

I want the one Thomas Magnum drove around Hawaii in and I'm prepared to spend no more than 25k because I saw one sell on ebay last year for that amount. It has to be nice and all sorted out, I don't want a show car but it does need to be free of scratches and paint chips and it has to be very glossy. The interior can be used but no cracks or wear spots on the seats and no visible flaws. It doesn't have to be in perfect running condition but it does need to be in perfect running condition.

I know all about 308's and 328's I watched Magnum PI a lot so don't try to fool me. I know what they are worth.
    You are such a funny man but I know where you're going and that is very funny! You have closure issues right? Lol!
    Rob

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

There’s a guy on the FB fanatics group doing this recently.

Essentially:

“I don’t want to do the looking myself so come to me and meet my terms. I know your car better than you do.”
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    I haven't seen any sign of that yet. Some prices could rise due to beneficial reasons however. As the car's value rises recreating some of the larger more expensive and better quality parts may become more feasable to produce. We for example sourced many of our remanufactured parts in the US back in the 90's but it became less feasable as cheaper, shall we say "offshore", parts were introduced by our competition. As demand dried up for superior quality parts we pulled back from new parts production to a large extent. Now as we see increased demand for better quality parts again we are ramping up our production of US made parts. These parts do tend to be more expensive but the fit, quality, and longevity generally far outweigh the increased cost. When time permits we will get more of them on our website instead of selling them mainly in house. We are also considering making some NLA interior parts which would make things easier when doing full restorations. The investment is substantial so we are still in the review stage for some items. The only way this investment can be recouped is if the values of Deloreans stay high enough to justify the cost of manufacturing these types of parts. This allows the owner the choice of shopping price versus quality instead of having access only to cheap but inferior quality parts. I try not to sell anything I wouldn't put on my own car and there is a lot out there that fits that description. Higher prices mean more options. The cheap stuff will likely remain cheap to be competetive as that is the only advantage over higher quality parts.
    Rob
    BOOM

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Rob, I applaud your effort to develop and offer quality parts over cheap parts. I have learned the hard way that even with the DeLorean, you get what you pay for. Its very easy to get sucked into the mentality that buying cheap parts saves time and money. It does not.
    and BOOM

Broken record time as I said this a few times before - I am one that loves to drive the snot out of my car, I prefer top quality parts and don't mind the higher cost as apposed to inferior parts at cheaper price points.
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3