FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Firewall temp

My VIN:    5625

Firewall temp

Hey guys -

So I am installing new firewall insulation/carpet in my car. Though I started to think about how hot the back firewall may get so that I don't put a material back there that will spontaneously combust. I was thinking about covering the firewall with foil tape and then installing a pipe insulation (1/8" foam with foil top), then I recreated the foam material from the factory as follows:

layer closest to fire wall - carpet felt - same stuff that is under the DMC carpet kit
    middle layer - 1/4" memory foam carpet padding with moister barrier
    Top layer - mass loaded vinyl

All of those 3 layers together come out to be the same thickness as the factory stuff.

What I am trying to do is 2 fold. One, replace the stinky foam in the car and two, create a layer of insulation and sound deadening that will be superior to what it came from the factory.

However, the only thing that I am worried about is that since I have multiple layers of material that will be glued together is what the chance is that the firewall gets so hot that it heats up the foil tape and that in turn starts a fire behind my back.

Any thoughts?
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

If you're worried about that, then you should also be worried about the wire insulation from the starter or alternator melting that run right by the exhaust. Along with these wires there are also rubber grommets, wiring, hoses, a paper air filter etc. that survives just fine in that environment. There is also foam on the back side of the carpet against the firewall if my memory is fine. - I think you're safe to install your insulating material.
    Last edited by dn010; 04-10-2018 at 03:22 PM.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    6585

What is listing for flammability on the materials you’re using from UL or the manufacturer?
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    What is listing for flammability on the materials you’re using from UL or the manufacturer?
    It is not just the flammability. it is also the toxic out gassing that may happen before it actually bursts into flames. The gases can be more deadly faster especially in the confined cabin of the car. There are standards for this kind of stuff that manufacturers have to adhere to but most people, especially customizers, don't seem to worry or care about it. I agree the original stuff looks like cheap carpet padding and there is much better stuff that can be used. Be careful though, some stuff is quite heavy and overuse of it can add a LOT of weight. Like Dynomat.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5625

Ok. Well I guess I got some good answers. I’ll proceed.

Thanks
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....