FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rental contract boilerplate

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Totally 80s View Post
    A new turn signal stalk is only $200. You will be $100 ahead after they break it. I would order one now so when they break it you have a new one ready to go.
    http://store.delorean.com/p-7023-dl-wpr-switch.aspx
    I never noticed the part description on the site for that part it.
    Alex Brooks

My VIN:    10907

Moot point now b/c the guy decided he wanted a time machine replica instead, but here's what I came up with for contract verbiage:

Owner agrees to furnish one DeLorean DMC-12 at the above listed event for the agreed price. Payment in full is due prior to the start of the event.

Owner and Renter/Agent shall inspect the car prior to the event and note any preexisting damage. Renter/Agent agrees to accept financial responsibility for any damage done to the car during the event by other than natural causes.

Unless agreed to by Owner and listed under Additional Surcharges, no event attendees shall be permitted to sit in or on the car.

Owner shall be permitted to supervise the car during the event, if desired.

Owner reserves the right to cancel with a full refund prior to the event or prorated refund during the event in the case of inclement weather.

Owner reserves the right to leave the event with no partial or full refund if attendees damage the car or exhibit hazardous behavior toward/in the vicinity of the car.

Owner agrees to issue a prorated refund in the event of delays due to traffic or mechanical failure. No refund will be issued if delays are due to incorrect address or directions given by Renter/Agent.
    Thoughts?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Probably a good idea to come up with some language and put it into the files section for anyone who needs it in the future. Of course it may need to be modified to fit a particular situation but it would be a good starting point. Not only must you set the conditions, you need to include some mechanism to enforce the contract if it is violated.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10907

If anybody else wants to use this or others want to chime in with things I've missed, feel free. As far as enforcement, I'm not a lawyer but in the U. S. small claims court is pretty cheap as long as some bozo doesn't do more than a few thousand worth of damage.

(TBH while I'm disappointed at losing out on what would have been a little over $500 after I gave my kickback to our club, I'm also kind of relieved at not having to deal with it...)

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Small claims court is inexpensive but most States set very low limits on the amount you can claim. Don't get too exited about small claims court. All they can give you is a judgement, it is up to you to find any funds to attach. It can also get complicated if there are different States involved and you have to go to another State. Just saying, having a contract isn't all that much protection. But, if it makes you more comfortable, go for it. If you are with the car and you don't like how things are going and you got the money "up front" just leave. If you got the right protection (insurance) you just file a claim for any damage caused. Simple. Take plenty of pictures and document your claim well.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2