FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blinker issues!!

My VIN:    5625

Blinker issues!!

Hey guys -

I’ve got a situation I may need help with. I took the car out for its maiden voyage this year. It drove great, But I noticed an issue with the turn signals. If I turn on the right turn signal everything works as it should. However, if I turn on the left turn signal both left and right side blink like the hazards are on. I have torn apart everything and cannot seem to figure out what the issue may be. I figured if there was a crossed wire somewhere in the car then both left and right turn signals would operate all signals like the hazard. I did go to all L.E.D. Lights this winter but they worked properly after testing. I did change the flasher relay to one that is good for L.E.D.’s, but swapped back to the original and other than blinking fast it has the same wierd operation. I also checked all bulbs. Pulling either the left front or rear bulbs don’t stop the issue.

I’m not sure where to go next. Does anyone know what that 2.2 UF capacitor off of the flasher relay does? Could that be bad? Maybe the hazard switch? Or the actual turn signal stock on the car? Hmm.

Has anyone had this happen to them before? Any ideas?
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

Never heard that problem before but you may want to check the
    blinker switch ( left of the steering wheel) if that maybe already makes
    a wrong connection and turns both sides one.

I expect you have a mutlimeter, a schematic and of course you can read it.

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

I had a somewhat similar problem a few weeks ago, but it was my own fault. I basically connected the wire for the trurn signal to the one for the tail light at the right tail light assembly. It caused the right turn signal to flash the dash lights, and to not flash anything when the parking lights were on.

You’re issue does sound different, but you can at least rule out the tail lights by unplugging the black bulkhead connector.

You could also rule out the hazard switch by unplugging it, but then you have to jump two of the pins on the switch connector to get power to the turn signals. It seems unlikely that it’s the switch, though. Also, I need to find a new spring for my hazard switch after it shot across the garage when I disassembled it for no good reason...

I’m guessing the capacitor is a kind of electrical noise filter, but I could be wrong about that.

— Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jangell View Post
    I had a somewhat similar problem a few weeks ago, but it was my own fault. I basically connected the wire for the trurn signal to the one for the tail light at the right tail light assembly. It caused the right turn signal to flash the dash lights, and to not flash anything when the parking lights were on.

You’re issue does sound different, but you can at least rule out the tail lights by unplugging the black bulkhead connector.

You could also rule out the hazard switch by unplugging it, but then you have to jump two of the pins on the switch connector to get power to the turn signals. It seems unlikely that it’s the switch, though. Also, I need to find a new spring for my hazard switch after it shot across the garage when I disassembled it for no good reason...

I’m guessing the capacitor is a kind of electrical noise filter, but I could be wrong about that.

— Joe
    Ok. So I disconnected the black connector on the bulk head and still have the same problem. So at least I know the problem is somewhere forward of back fire wall. I unplugged the hazard switch and applied power at the turn switch and both sides still illuminate. So.....I know its not the hazard switch. I then unplugged the turn signal switch and applied 12v on the car side of the plug - green/white (right turn) and only the right side lights up in the front. If I apply 12v to the green/red (left turn) both left and right side illuminate. ??? So it looks as though I have ruled out the turn signal switch as well. I think I must have a wire crossed somewhere, but if I do, why wouldn’t both side light up whenever I turned on the turn signal switch in either direction?
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    No. 4068

Have you tried disconnecting the rear tail light boards and seeing if the front indicators in the bumper light up independently using your test?
    RIP Rob van de Veer Top bloke

I say Sir, I must be mad, one loves fixing K-Jet !

Make sure there's plenty in the tank for the weekend chaps....

Quote Originally Posted by NckT View Post
    Have you tried disconnecting the rear tail light boards and seeing if the front indicators in the bumper light up independently using your test?
    I have disconnected the black plug from the fire wall to prevent anything going to the back lights, and yes the problem still persists.

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    Ok. So I disconnected the black connector on the bulk head and still have the same problem. So at least I know the problem is somewhere forward of back fire wall. I unplugged the hazard switch and applied power at the turn switch and both sides still illuminate. So.....I know its not the hazard switch. I then unplugged the turn signal switch and applied 12v on the car side of the plug - green/white (right turn) and only the right side lights up in the front. If I apply 12v to the green/red (left turn) both left and right side illuminate. ??? So it looks as though I have ruled out the turn signal switch as well. I think I must have a wire crossed somewhere, but if I do, why wouldn’t both side light up whenever I turned on the turn signal switch in either direction?
    Random idea here: the left and right turn signals have separate fuses. It might be interesting to see what happens if you pull the fuse for one of the turn signals, and see if both flash when you switch the other signal on. If they do, that likely means a short or miswiring that is bypassing the normal path for that turn signal. This might also let you rule out the wiring before or after the fuses, although you'll have to check the wiring diagram to be sure.

-- Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jangell View Post
    Random idea here: the left and right turn signals have separate fuses. It might be interesting to see what happens if you pull the fuse for one of the turn signals, and see if both flash when you switch the other signal on. If they do, that likely means a short or miswiring that is bypassing the normal path for that turn signal. This might also let you rule out the wiring before or after the fuses, although you'll have to check the wiring diagram to be sure.

-- Joe
    Good idea. I'll try that when I get home and report back.

My VIN:    10907

You checked your parking light bulbs too, right? Sometimes a broken bulb can make weird things happen. Last year my right turn indicator would stay on solid whenever I turned my headlights on and the culprit turned to be a broken parking light LED.

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    You checked your parking light bulbs too, right? Sometimes a broken bulb can make weird things happen. Last year my right turn indicator would stay on solid whenever I turned my headlights on and the culprit turned to be a broken parking light LED.
    I'll check illumination of all bulbs when I get home. The whole car is new L.E.D.'s as of this winter. Was your failure bulb in the front or the back? Or, were they side markers?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast