FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gates Power Grip Hose Clamps - Use on VOD hoses?

Gates Power Grip Hose Clamps - Use on VOD hoses?

Just saw this posted on a Corvette forum and thought these would be good to use on the hoses in the VOD. Install once and no going back to re-tighten.
    Any opinions or experience with these hose clamps?

Link to video:
    https://youtu.be/4O91YqHbp8c?t=3

My VIN:    03572

Sometimes you don't have access all around the hose to point your heat gun on it.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Regular hose clamps are reusable.

Ron

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

Not using them in the vod as my car doesn’t have one, but using them on all my main coolant pipes

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The problem is not the clamps, it is the hose. They shrink a bit from several heat cycles and that is why the clamps need to be retightened. The answer is silicone hoses. They do not need the clamps to be retightened.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The problem is not the clamps, it is the hose. They shrink a bit from several heat cycles and that is why the clamps need to be retightened. The answer is silicone hoses. They do not need the clamps to be retightened.
    According to the video at 1:05 he states the clamps will readjust with each engine heating cycle.
    It would be interesting to find out if the engine heat would then complete the shrinkage if not able to completely get all the way around the clamp.

Sounded like a good idea to me even if not used in the VOD but also on the other hoses.

Thanks for the replies.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

I am guessing clamps need to be re-tightened because they were not torqued properly upon installation, and/or because the pipe had some corrosion under the clamping area.

I'd be curious to see if anyone who inspected/cleaned the pipes, and followed the clamp manufacturer's installation torque specifications needed to go back and re-tighten. I know I didn't have to.

Here's an example spec sheet for the stock clamps: Norma Torro
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    15190

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    I am guessing clamps need to be re-tightened because they were not torqued properly upon installation, and/or because the pipe had some corrosion under the clamping area.

I'd be curious to see if anyone who inspected/cleaned the pipes, and followed the clamp manufacturer's installation torque specifications needed to go back and re-tighten. I know I didn't have to.

Here's an example spec sheet for the stock clamps: Norma Torro
    Thanks for that.
    What would be a good tool to use for torquing the hose clamps? I had to re-tight some of my hoses as well as replace one last week and I wanted to make sure I'm doing it by the spec.
    Any recommendations would be appreciated

My VIN:    03572

I can't believe engine heat (200 deg. F) would be enough to shrink the clamps much.

I used a torque wrench to clamp my VOD hoses with ABA clamps. I did torque them again a few hours later and they did need a little more to get the same torque.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by mburshtain View Post
    Thanks for that.
    What would be a good tool to use for torquing the hose clamps? I had to re-tight some of my hoses as well as replace one last week and I wanted to make sure I'm doing it by the spec.
    Any recommendations would be appreciated
    You are welcome. I used a small inch/pound ratchet style torque wrench with the proper hex socket (7mm?) for the clamp. I just verified the clamp type and size to get the correct spec from the chart.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast