FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Just bought a barn find, need some guidance.

My VIN:    3394

Yes, it is always a good idea to keep a log of parts and costs. I do that regularly. I try to figure in my time when looking at a restore. Although I don't log all my time. I'm a bit strange, i like working on cars more than driving them when I'm done. My wife on the other hand, she loves to drive them everywhere. So we end up at several car shows a year. I have heard that if you double the cost of parts that will normally cover your labor. 5k in parts about 5k inlabor. I paid 15k, estimate the restore 5k in parts and 5k in labor, 25k total. Hoping the car will be worth more than that when done.

Is there cross reference guide for parts? Has anyone put one together?
    My spreadsheets are normally excel. Column one the parts. Headers across the top are the vendors. Price and availability is the table. This lets me find the best deal on each. So right now im trying to make the list of parts needed, them ill need to locate the vendors that sell them. Any references here is appreciated.

Ill post pics to night, thanks,

My VIN:    3294

My car (3294) and your car (3394) were probably built within a day or two of each other. Mine had about the same mileage (8,637) when I got it. Like yours, previous owner had problems with the fuel pump, parked it and never touched it again.
    Mine had the original "everything" (belts, hoses, tires, brakes, calipers, water pump, radiator, etc.). I've replaced just about everything on mine in the 3 1/2 years I've had it.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

Pics of car. Anyone see anything out of the usual.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfloyd View Post
    My car (3294) and your car (3394) were probably built within a day or two of each other. Mine had about the same mileage (8,637) when I got it. Like yours, previous owner had problems with the fuel pump, parked it and never touched it again.
    Mine had the original "everything" (belts, hoses, tires, brakes, calipers, water pump, radiator, etc.). I've replaced just about everything on mine in the 3 1/2 years I've had it.
    Did you have to from it setting that long, or did you do it just to make sure everything was working. Anything done that you wouldn't have done today or things that you should do?

Quote Originally Posted by JETS 81 DMC View Post
    Thanks, good info. Now i just need to figure out how to save this for quick reference.

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by YJK View Post
    Pics of car. Anyone see anything out of the usual.
    It might just be the lighting, but have a closer look at the closing plate under the engine as it seems like it's had a coat of POR-15 on it. Not necessarily a bad thing if it has, but I would use something firm but with a soft end (rubber ideally) to push up on it and see if the metal is still good and solid.

More pics please

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Here are close up of that area. It's not por. Its oil and dirt. I just took a rag to it anf it wiped off. New paint under it. It looks like the trans has a leak, and he drove it awhile before parking it. I planned on changing the fuluds and pan gaskets, i also just noticed a possible leak at the back, where i think its the speedo cable connection. New seal needed.

Also I noticed these red paint marks. Is this from the factory or someone really messy.
    Attached Images

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Thanks, good info. Now i just need to figure out how to save this for quick reference.
    Hi there,

Congratulations on acquiring a fine example of the marque. Wow, it looks great! Here's my best guidance.

Before buying any parts, I would think about how you want to use the car and that will help you approach any restoration work on it ( i.e. Do you want the car to be as correct as possible for showing, to just get it running as economically as possible to use it as a daily driver, or anything in between.

One thing to consider with the crossover list is that some of the parts will work, but may not be correct for the car. My understanding is that it was originally developed in the pre-Internet days to help owners keep their cars running but currently, there are many excellent vendors offering great products that fit instead of you having to hunt for parts elsewhere. Been there, done that. DMC (and affiliates), PJ Grady, DeloreanGo, and DMC Europe are my favorites based on 4 years of buying a lot of parts. There are others of course, and you can search here for recommendations and reviews. I have returned more than a few inferior parts, some were wasted, and then bought again elsewhere.

You may have already been reading this thread on car values which will further guide you:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?16...rrett-Jackson)

Based on the pictures, I think you have a great car with a lot of potential, and if it were me, I would research parts carefully before buying.

Also there are threads on prioritizing restoration work so it doesn't get overwhelming if it winds up needing a lot.

Cheers,
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Here are close up of that area. It's not por. Its oil and dirt. I just took a rag to it anf it wiped off. New paint under it. It looks like the trans has a leak, and he drove it awhile before parking it. I planned on changing the fuluds and pan gaskets, i also just noticed a possible leak at the back, where i think its the speedo cable connection. New seal needed.

Also I noticed these red paint marks. Is this from the factory or someone really messy.
    The red paint marks signify the first suspension recall. After the recall was done they were supposed to paint red marks on the area and in the engine bay:
    http://www.dmcnews.com/bulletins/SC-01-11.81.html

Like so:

It looks like they went a bit overboard with yours. It was recalled again so eventually you can upgrade to the "blue" recall.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 04-17-2018 at 08:44 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast