Now that I've specifically named the issue In the thread title , something is bound to happen and my actual problem will be something else, let's hope I've diagnosed this right.

First, my starter was fine, but we think that in a 1 in 100 shot a dropped exhaust manifold washer found its way between the teeth, and jammed it. The solenoid would pull and the motor would draw current but not turn.

We pulled the oem starter loose, tapped a bit, reinstalled it, and it worked.

Then an intermittent issue came up where occasionally it seemed the relay would click, but no cranking. A day later it might work again.

Then a day turned into a week the next time it failed, and I assumed I'd burned up a brush on the starter, so I installed a Mitsubishi style unit.

I tested the Mitsubishi after installation by jumping power to the solenoid, and it works fine. When I turn the key, I thought I heard the relay click, but I was mistaken. I think what I'm hearing is the master relay. Not sure where it is, but it's odd to me that it's clicking when I turn the key to start, not accessory.

Turns out my starter relay is not pulling.

The relay is fine. I have 12 Volts coming in presumably from the brown wires and circuit breaker, a good ground from the transmission switch, continuity from the output pole to the starter, and when I apply 12 Volts to the output socket, the starter turns.

I do not however have the 12 Volts feeding from the ignition switch to the relay socket when I turn the key. I believe that if I did, the relay would close and the starter would work.

Additional Info:

I think the starter recall was performed, as I have 12 Volts at one pin in the relay socket, but not both.

My cabin fan works on speeds 1, 2, and 4, not 3. I presume the resistor needs to be checked, but the circuit breaker is fine. Further, I believe my issue is that the relay is not closing, not that the load current is not present.

I don't hear anything from the key chime, but I'm not sure when I should?

I do hear a clicking from the relay compartment when I turn the key to start/crank, but I don't think I should. This happens even when the starter relay is removed.

Because I do hear said clicking I presume the ignition switch is working properly. Maybe not though. You tell me.

I have Toby's alarm/ door poppers, fanzilla, lockzilla (Iirc) installed, so there is a lot going on in the wiring bay.

My question is next steps. Should I try to access the back side of the relay socket, and if so how? Next steps in troubleshooting? Warnings, anecdotes, or advice appreciated.

Tom