FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Speedometer not accurate

My VIN:    01598

Club(s):   (DCH)

Speedometer not accurate

Hi!

When I am driving around 80 km/h my speedometer shows 60 km/h...
    Ive been told my car won't pass inspection when I am taking it to the DMW in Norway to get license plates because of this.
    I have a 85mph speedometer, and bought new dust shield, angle drive, lower and upper speedo cable from DMC California back in 2015.

Is the new parts perhaps calibrated to the 140 mph speedometer?
    Svein Apeland

1981 DMC DeLorean DMC-12, VIN: 01598. Gas flap hood, manual transmission, black interior, wide stripe, galvanized frame, Spax shocks and UK club exhaust.
    x1973 Plymouth Road Runner
    x1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
    x1975 Chevrolet El Camino
    x1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring
    x1966 Lincoln Continental
    x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The angle drive is a fixed ratio. The speedometer gets calibrated to the input RPM of the cable. The rule of thumb setting is 1000 RPM wheel rotation equals 60 MPH Or 95.56kph

My understanding is that one of the vendors is selling an angle drive that is not the correct drive ratio, its close, but not too the original spec. I’m not sure who it is though. I have not needed a new AD for several years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    3937

Any chance something is slipping? That could be another possibility to explain why it is reading a speed lower than what you're actually driving. I assume the odometer is counting the total miles at this same lower rate?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Any chance something is slipping? That could be another possibility to explain why it is reading a speed lower than what you're actually driving. I assume the odometer is counting the total miles at this same lower rate?
    Dont know, could be. I have to check the connections. Not sure about odometer either.

Sent fra min F5321 via Tapatalk
    Svein Apeland

1981 DMC DeLorean DMC-12, VIN: 01598. Gas flap hood, manual transmission, black interior, wide stripe, galvanized frame, Spax shocks and UK club exhaust.
    x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

My VIN:    3937

The speedo and odo should be in sync because they run off the same input. If you find the odo reading higher than the speedo (and thus what it should be reading) another possibility might be that the speedo needle wasn't reinstalled correctly. I say reinstalled because if you say had it disassembled to replace the trip reset shaft for example, one of the steps to do that job is to remove the needle from the speedo. If it got put back on too low, it might be reading 20 km/hr low at all times. Do you have any other reference speeds? Like when you're driving 50 km/hr or 100 km/hr? That might help figuring it out.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    The speedo and odo should be in sync because they run off the same input. If you find the odo reading higher than the speedo (and thus what it should be reading) another possibility might be that the speedo needle wasn't reinstalled correctly. I say reinstalled because if you say had it disassembled to replace the trip reset shaft for example, one of the steps to do that job is to remove the needle from the speedo. If it got put back on too low, it might be reading 20 km/hr low at all times. Do you have any other reference speeds? Like when you're driving 50 km/hr or 100 km/hr? That might help figuring it out.
    Hmm maybe you are into something there. Sombody previosly installed a new sticker over the speedometer showing other figures... Dont know why they did, maybe because of this or because 85mph was to low in their eyes. I guess I had to pull the needle out to get the sticker off... As far as I remember the needle could only fit one way. But this was over 5 years ago....

Svein Apeland

x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    The angle drive is a fixed ratio. The speedometer gets calibrated to the input RPM of the cable. The rule of thumb setting is 1000 RPM wheel rotation equals 60 MPH Or 95.56kph

My understanding is that one of the vendors is selling an angle drive that is not the correct drive ratio, its close, but not too the original spec. I’m not sure who it is though. I have not needed a new AD for several years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's not just one vendor but all that sell the new style angle drives. These are generic 1/1 ratio units that will give a reading that is off by 12% as I recently explained in another speedo thread. Only a genuine Smiths Instruments unit, and earlier DMCH copies, have the correct ratio. The repro unit suffers from poor tolerances though while the originals problem was poor assembly and lubrication. I've rebuilt hundreds of the S.I. units over the years and the failure rate is very low. The newer copies are inferior.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    It's not just one vendor but all that sell the new style angle drives. These are generic 1/1 ratio units that will give a reading that is off by 12% as I recently explained in another speedo thread. Only a genuine Smiths Instruments unit, and earlier DMCH copies, have the correct ratio. The repro unit suffers from poor tolerances though while the originals problem was poor assembly and lubrication. I've rebuilt hundreds of the S.I. units over the years and the failure rate is very low. The newer copies are inferior.
    Rob
    Okay, Thanks Rob! Im used to them beeing off the other way around, showing more than what you actually drive. And 20 km/h is a lot, so I guess something more must be wrong?

Svein Apeland

x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

Not a self styled 'Guru'

Is it purely indicating the wrong speed, or is it sticking at 60km/h?

The reason I ask is that mine used to stick between 30-40mph, the needle would then ping up and it would work up to 55mph before getting stuck. In the end I sent the speedo head itself off to be serviced and that cured the problem.

Have a look at this thread for further details http://www.deloreaneurotec.uk/viewto...p=55041#p55040

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    The repro unit suffers from poor tolerances though while the originals problem was poor assembly and lubrication. The newer copies are inferior.
    The current repro's are garbage for sure. It's a shame no one can convince Speedograph to manufacture their repro anymore http://www.speedograph-richfield.com/html/rgb2401.html they site 'health and safety' reasons as the excuse - a real shame as they are bullet proof. http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?15...l=1#post223890
    DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
    The Future's DeLorean Club

Hmm... No, it was not sticking.

Svein Apeland

x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast