FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tired of people almost hitting me. Anyone installed a train horn in their car?

My VIN:    Early

Hey, DMCTalk needs its share too
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    Between VINs

Hey, you do you, it's your money and time.

I agree with you completely that you don't understand.

What I do is I don't put myself in the position to get run over by trucks. I drive defensively to mitigate risks to the fullest extent possible. Putting yourself in peril and hoping a gimmick horn bails you out is a bold strategy.

Part of safety on the road for a truck driver (or any driver) is spotting obstacles so as to avoid them. If you're cruising along in a semi's blind spot and the truck begins to encroach into your lane, your reaction will be to blast a train horn? It's just going to confuse the driver further by introducing a distinctive sound from another kind of road hazard. He'll be looking around frantically and still not seeing you because you chose to drive a 44" tall car, the same color as pavement, in his blind spot.

There are other factors involved (Doppler effect, road conditions, fatigue, time of day, etc.) but if you're unwilling to drive defensively then they're not useful for you.

Best of luck to you.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Oh this is gold!

I agree with having to drive in a heightened state of alert especially because the car is low and relatively small. I mostly see lug nuts and tires beside me on semis.

I'll share 2 observations from my neck of the woods:
    - Over the last 1-2 years, I have seen a decrease in people wanting to get close etc., mainly because a LOT of people are looking away/down at their devices.
    -even fire trucks have installed twirling lights on front and a LOUD horn to try and compensate for the people that are not paying attention. It's annoying as they are louder at night.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I say go for it. Be sure to post pics on how that air compressor fits in the luggage compartment and how much the hood bows to latch over it. I bet there is tons of space left after the install. How nice will it be to have it turn on intermittently from time to time. I wonder how that robust and always up to the task DeLorean charging system will handle the draw of a compressor...I bet it doesn't even dim the headlights when it turns on.

My VIN:    2848

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Hey, you do you, it's your money and time.

I agree with you completely that you don't understand.

What I do is I don't put myself in the position to get run over by trucks. I drive defensively to mitigate risks to the fullest extent possible. Putting yourself in peril and hoping a gimmick horn bails you out is a bold strategy.

Part of safety on the road for a truck driver (or any driver) is spotting obstacles so as to avoid them. If you're cruising along in a semi's blind spot and the truck begins to encroach into your lane, your reaction will be to blast a train horn? It's just going to confuse the driver further by introducing a distinctive sound from another kind of road hazard. He'll be looking around frantically and still not seeing you because you chose to drive a 44" tall car, the same color as pavement, in his blind spot.

There are other factors involved (Doppler effect, road conditions, fatigue, time of day, etc.) but if you're unwilling to drive defensively then they're not useful for you.

Best of luck to you.
    You sure assume to know the situation at all times when I'm driving. I like your blame the victim mentality though. You sound like the guy who tells a girl she was asking to be raped because she wore a tight dress.

I already told you I drive defensively but you have to be right about me so you create a whole scenario where I'm the one at fault. It's hilarious.
    -Alex
    We work jobs we hate, to buy shit we don't need, to impress people we don't even like.

I say go for it. Be sure to post pics on how that air compressor fits in the luggage compartment and how much the hood bows to latch over it. I bet there is tons of space left after the install. How nice will it be to have it turn on intermittently from time to time. I wonder how that robust and always up to the task DeLorean charging system will handle the draw of a compressor...I bet it doesn't even dim the headlights when it turns on.
    This is why I asked if someone else had done it. I am doing research. That compressor will fit fine in the trunk, it's not that big.

Do your Delorean horns turn on intermittently from time to time? I have not experienced that.

The draw of the compressor was something I was interested in and wondering if others had problems.

Perhaps there is something that is made that is quite a bit louder than a standard horn but not as crazy loud and power consuming as a train horn?
    -Alex
    We work jobs we hate, to buy shit we don't need, to impress people we don't even like.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Totally 80s View Post
    This is why I asked if someone else had done it. I am doing research. That compressor will fit fine in the trunk, it's not that big.

Do your Delorean horns turn on intermittently from time to time? I have not experienced that.

The draw of the compressor was something I was interested in and wondering if others had problems.

Perhaps there is something that is made that is quite a bit louder than a standard horn but not as crazy loud and power consuming as a train horn?
    Not the horns, the compressor will turn on from time to tine to keep the horns charged. It's almost impossible to stop air from bleeding out. You will also have to dump the tanks every day to keep moisture out, and that dump valve will need to drain outside the car. Also a moisture trap to keep water from entering the horns themselves. I personally don't see the need to lose over half of my already limited storage and the hassle for a horn.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Also consider that if you use a very loud horn you could startle a driver who isn't paying attention and actually cause the accident you are trying to avoid. While it is true the stock horns are not loud and you could add louder horns, you can also overdo it. Also consider that the horn circuit does NOT have a relay. All of the current goes through the horn switch. You MUST add a relay if you are going to do anything that will increase the current you are going to pull through the switch. If you really want to avoid accidents you must drive defensively and anticipate anything that can happen. Stay out of other driver's blind spots. Add a third brake light. Drive with your headlights on during the day. Use your directional signals. Do not count on your horn to help. By then it is probably too late.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    Between VINs

You said you run with your lights on and have a louder horn.

You also said you're 'constantly swerving' to avoid collisions with other motorists.

I can infer that you've taken passive measures to improve safety, but despite them, you're still putting yourself into bad situations. I've read other owners say that they have had unfortunate incidents in traffic that can be ascribed to the small stature of the car; but you're the only one I've seen that has a 'constant' problem. I drive the same car in a variety of situations and do not have a 'constant' problem; but I drive very defensively and actively place my car in the best road position to mitigate risk.

You're not a victim if you create the circumstance that leads to the incident. Trucks are not predators out to get you, you're getting in their way. They are the victim.

I relayed your problem to a friend of mine. He advised you purchase one of those dune buggy flags and run that off the back of the car, it will increase the ability of drivers around you to see you which addresses your problem (inability of trucks to see you in their blind spot) whereas a train horn is a reactive measure that doesn't address the visibility problem. Or just drive defensively and accept the residual risk.

Or install an train horn and be a nuisance/center of attention. Keep us posted though as I have a sincere interest in how you plan to overcome the practical challenges posed by Michael.

Not the horns, the compressor will turn on from time to tine to keep the horns charged. It's almost impossible to stop air from bleeding out. You will also have to dump the tanks every day to keep moisture out, and that dump valve will need to drain outside the car. Also a moisture trap to keep water from entering the horns themselves. I personally don't see the need to lose over half of my already limited storage and the hassle for a horn.
    Check this one out. It has a small compressor and is rated at 138db. Might be a good compromise.

https://www.amazon.com/Stebel-116900...fe74625c4d6fdd
    -Alex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast