FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Tired of people almost hitting me. Anyone installed a train horn in their car?

My VIN:    2848

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    You said you run with your lights on and have a louder horn.

You also said you're 'constantly swerving' to avoid collisions with other motorists.

I can infer that you've taken passive measures to improve safety, but despite them, you're still putting yourself into bad situations. I've read other owners say that they have had unfortunate incidents in traffic that can be ascribed to the small stature of the car; but you're the only one I've seen that has a 'constant' problem. I drive the same car in a variety of situations and do not have a 'constant' problem; but I drive very defensively and actively place my car in the best road position to mitigate risk.

You're not a victim if you create the circumstance that leads to the incident. Trucks are not predators out to get you, you're getting in their way. They are the victim.

I relayed your problem to a friend of mine. He advised you purchase one of those dune buggy flags and run that off the back of the car, it will increase the ability of drivers around you to see you which addresses your problem (inability of trucks to see you in their blind spot) whereas a train horn is a reactive measure that doesn't address the visibility problem. Or just drive defensively and accept the residual risk.

Or install an train horn and be a nuisance/center of attention. Keep us posted though as I have a sincere interest in how you plan to overcome the practical challenges posed by Michael.
    It only takes one bad driver to kill you. I'm trying to stop distracted and bad drivers from hitting me. If your answer to avoiding all accidents is driving defensively then you and I differ on opinion. I think thats only 50 percent of the solution. The other is to be seen and heard when a problem arrives.
    -Alex
    We work jobs we hate, to buy shit we don't need, to impress people we don't even like.

A horn won't save you no matter how loud it is, unless you always have it on so everybody knows you are near at all times.
    If you have time to use the horn, and the other driver has time to realize it was for them and then figure out the situation and a way around it....
    Could have avoided them yourself by then, or the accident was going to happen anyway.

Horns are more for giving the finger after the fact.
    Here is a better solution for when you can't avoid the stupidity of others.... more bumpers!
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cted-eBay.html

My VIN:    3294

If you want loud horns, just find you an early 90's model Buick LeSabre in a junk yard. All electric car horns I've ever seen use one wire to operate. Just swap out the horns. We used to have a 95 LeSabre and it's horns were excruciatingly and annoyingly load. Would be perfect.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

Quote Originally Posted by bfloyd View Post
    If you want loud horns, just find you an early 90's model Buick LeSabre in a junk yard. All electric car horns I've ever seen use one wire to operate. Just swap out the horns. We used to have a 95 LeSabre and it's horns were excruciatingly and annoyingly load. Would be perfect.
    I've got one of those in my back yard. Come to think of it nobody has ever hit it (nothing to do with the horn). There is the secret! Drive what the seniors buy! Everybody automatically gives you extra room assuming you are the hazard.
    There are other pluses to driving a Buick:
    - Nearly invisible to police = less likely to get a ticket.
    - Very durable = if you do get hit the car will likely be fine.
    - Also cheap = whoever hits you will likely have a nicer car and cry much harder than you = you win!
    Downside: you are driving a boring Buick.

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Quote Originally Posted by Totally 80s View Post
    Yeah I have had enough. Yesterday a Semi Truck ran me into the shoulder and then less than 3 minutes later a woman nearly creamed me in a roundabout.
    I've had Many close calls when driving my D but, I had a semi tractor nearly hit me a month ago in my Pacifica.

I saw the semi tractor on the left from the time I crossed the speed bump and couldn't believe he wasn't paying attention turning onto the road.
    I only have a stock horn on my mini van and it was enough for him to take, (a late), notice.
    (Although I did hit the horn before he left the parking lot).

Here's a dash cam video of it.

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

My VIN:    Between VINs

At that speed (25mph) you could've simply slowed to a controlled stop and avoided any chance of an accident.

That's a great illustration between the difference of what I do, and what Totally 80s does.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

One Delorean I saw in Ohio had a HUGE wing on the back with antennas and flags. That was his way of trying to be seen. Under the right lighting conditions a Delorean can become invisible. The rear view mirrors suck, and being so low most driver's side view mirrors look right over you so they can't see you if you are alongside them. Between all of the SUV's, the drivers driving distracted and trucks, you really do have to learn how to drive defensively in a Delorean. Typically we stay in the center lane and keep up with the flow of traffic. Every once in a while some car starts driving all around us and taking pictures. Especially dangerous if it is the driver taking the pictures! A loud horn is only part of the solution. The best option is to not even get into that situation that you need the horn.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    2848

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    At that speed (25mph) you could've simply slowed to a controlled stop and avoided any chance of an accident.

That's a great illustration between the difference of what I do, and what Totally 80s does.
    What the hell is wrong with you dude? Just stop already. This thread is not about your opinion on my driving. It's a thread about loud horns.

Nobody cares about your opinion of how they drive nor would anyone ever ask for it. You are looking like a jackass.
    Last edited by Totally 80s; 04-19-2018 at 10:50 PM.
    -Alex
    We work jobs we hate, to buy shit we don't need, to impress people we don't even like.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

You don't want to hear our opinions becuase pretty much everyone here says it's just a ridiculous answer to a common problem that anyone with a small car or mototcycle has. After not getting the advice you wanted, you are now turning this into a debate. Everyone here can see right through your "safety concerns". Someone has cut you off more than once and next time, you want to scare the crap out of them.

So just do it already. Yes you can shoehorn a freaking air compressor in your car and yes you can mount a set of horns in there somewhere. Yes you will have the nuisance of dumping the tanks and watching your volt meter dip to 5v every time it cuts on. You will most likely be drilling and mounting in your compartment and running the air lines and wiring.

If you are willing, strap that puppy across the bonnet and have a great beginning to a BTTF 3 time machine.

I have seen this type of behavior before. WTF is it about horns and DeLoreans that turns people into psychos anyway?
    Last edited by Michael; 04-20-2018 at 06:56 AM.

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Evil lies not in the heart of the atom, but in the heart of the BMW driver. --Albert Einstein

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3