FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Water Pump plug?

My VIN:    6989

Water Pump plug?

After having my water pump swapped out (complete assembly), it was brought to my attention that in the kit, there was no replacement for a plug that is supposed to go into a specific hole.

(For a better visual, look at http://store.delorean.com/popup.aspx...rge/102119.JPG above the pulley just to the right. The hole facing the viewer)

When I asked DMCH, it was explained there was no replacement for it, and that owners just re-use the old one. Does anyone know what it's proper name is, the function, and where I can procure a replacement? Thank you!

-Fluxn83 (Chris)
    Last edited by Fluxn83; 04-21-2018 at 12:14 PM.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

This is unfortunate, I take it you did not do a direct R & R of the pump swap. Meaning the pump was removed and tossed before you had the new Replacement on hand. The only way I can think of for your to get the plug is find one from a Engine swap owner or parts car. You should also contact Other DMC service facilities. EU guys are really good at sourcing some of the obscure bits and pieces too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    This is unfortunate, I take it you did not do a direct R & R of the pump swap. Meaning the pump was removed and tossed before you had the new Replacement on hand. The only way I can think of for your to get the plug is find one from a Engine swap owner or parts car. You should also contact Other DMC service facilities. EU guys are really good at sourcing some of the obscure bits and pieces too.

Thankfully, it was my mechanic who did the work, and he didn't toss the old water pump. The old plug was used in the new swap, so that's taken care of. I just wanted to know for future reference. I appreciate the concern.

-Fluxn83(Chris)

My VIN:    10270

My water pump has a Dorman 65256 installed in the front port. $4 from Advance Auto.

There are forum threads that say you can use an NPT plug in that spot but it may not seal properly and will bugger-up the metric threads.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    My water pump has a Dorman 65256 installed in the front port. $4 from Advance Auto.

There are forum threads that say you can use an NPT plug in that spot but it may not seal properly and will bugger-up the metric threads.
    The oil drain plug? Does it work decently enough?

-Fluxn83(Chris)

Quote Originally Posted by Fluxn83 View Post
    Thankfully, it was my mechanic who did the work, and he didn't toss the old water pump. The old plug was used in the new swap, so that's taken care of. I just wanted to know for future reference. I appreciate the concern.

-Fluxn83(Chris)
    You probably should have mentioned this in the first post. You gave the impression you needed one, rather where could I get one IF I wanted to replace it with a NEW one.

It’s been a long time since I did A WP swap and don’t recall what the thread size is. I would imagine a metric Oil plug would work with gasket if you new the thread size. For some reason I’m thinking it was a very odd thread pitch though. Something none standard.

DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

You probably should have mentioned this in the first post. You gave the impression you needed one, rather where could I get one IF I wanted to replace it with a NEW one.

It’s been a long time since I did A WP swap and don’t recall what the thread size is. I would imagine a metric Oil plug would work with gasket if you new the thread size. For some reason I’m thinking it was a very odd thread pitch though. Something none standard.

I apologize, and do appreciate the advice. I was told mine looked a bit rough, so that's the main reason I was asking (which should also have been in the first post).

My VIN:    Early

Yeah its a metric thread plug. I bought a new stainless one when I put a Volvo pump on my car.
    IMG_20180421_1335111.jpg
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    Yeah its a metric thread plug. I bought a new stainless one when I put a Volvo pump on my car.
    IMG_20180421_1335111.jpg
    Nice, where did you get it?

DENNIS

My VIN:    Early

Nice, where did you get it?

Just checked, and it is a 12mm drain plug. Bought it from Belmetric: https://www.belmetric.com/12mm-metri...ug-p-6073.html

I also used another plug (I think it's 14mm?) to delete the thermotime switch. Dave's hot start relay replaced that.👍
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast