FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Broken lug nut

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    It is more than a cosmetic issue, your lug wrench will not fit to remove them. You will have to force a socket onto it to undo it. You should replace any that have loose covers or just get a new set.
    Post #4 Johnny come lately

My VIN:    10907

I ordered a new set, but I can't get the old ones off. On my Hondas I usually just stomp on the handle of the wrench but I'm afraid of breaking something. Is there a trick to this or should I just take it to a shop and let them loosen them with the gun since presumably that's how they got on there so tight in the first place?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I would not use an impact on these personally. They turn too fast, increasing the chance of breaking the stud.
    I'd try using a long 4-way lug wrench (or breaker bar with a long extension) with a jack stand supporting one end to keep it perfectly level and square... If one is going to break, it's going to break. If one did break and I didn't want to change any studs myself, I'd put any good ones back on and then take it to a shop.
    Same for one where an idiot like Michael mention has ruined the hole or knurls with an impact...If it just spins, stop and take it to the shop.

My VIN:    03572

I've had some lug nuts on so tight that I've bent the T wench using a pipe to get more force. I think removing with an impact would be better. The impact only moves fast when the nut has loosened.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    16409

If your lung nuts are torqued to the proper 80 newton-meters, then there should be no issue removing the lug nuts. I always use a breaker bar and a Craftsman Digitork click style torque wrench.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    10907

I still couldn't budge the damn things even with a 25" breaker bar and I was afraid of slipping and denting something so I'll just take it to the shop tomorrow. I had a couple of things I want to get done before our Moab road trip next month anyway and this mechanic is a pretty burly dude so maybe be can put more elbow grease into it than I can.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2