Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: High Beams not working

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date:  Nov 2015

    Posts:    19

    High Beams not working

    Hi my high beams used to work and now neither do when i go to turn them on. Any idea what to check?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Senior Member DMC5180's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Reedsburg, WI

    Posts:    3,775

    My VIN:    5180

    Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

    High Beams not working

    Quote Originally Posted by flyin2 View Post
    Hi my high beams used to work and now neither do when i go to turn them on. Any idea what to check?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Please explain used to work. What do you mean by Neither Do? Do you mean one light quit then then the other quit or they both just stopped lighting up.?

    For the latter, check fuse 15.

    If you pull the stalk switch back (flash to pass) do you have all 4 lights or not?



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DMC5180; 04-21-2018 at 05:23 PM.
    DENNIS

    VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE I, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID sealed beam style headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, Mid-State Club Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, GENUINE MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2016

    Posts:    208

    Dennis,
    Start with the high beam fuse 15. It's a 20 amp. If it is blown then it's likely a symptom of another issue.

    Next check the high beam relay.

    DMC-12_Relays_and_Fuses.pdf
    Note that the link above has the correct fuse numbers. The attached file below has the fuse numbers reversed, but I couldn't find a way in edit mode to delete the attachment.
    Ron
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DMC-Ron; 04-21-2018 at 05:33 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Jun 2016

    Location:  Austin MN

    Posts:    106

    My VIN:    03500

    Fuse #15 can have heat issues in the fuse box so check for that.
    I found that mine had this issue last fall. I think was do to corrosion of the fuses. So yup a fuse box replacement is in my future.

    Dave B.

  5. #5
    Senior Member DMC5180's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Reedsburg, WI

    Posts:    3,775

    My VIN:    5180

    Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    Dennis,
    Start with the high beam fuse 15. It's a 20 amp. If it is blown then it's likely a symptom of another issue.

    Next check the high beam relay.

    DMC-12_Relays_and_Fuses.pdf
    Note that the link above has the correct fuse numbers. The attached file below has the fuse numbers reversed, but I couldn't find a way in edit mode to delete the attachment.
    Ron
    Ron,

    Perhaps you meant to direct your response too the OP.

    I mentioned Fuse 15 in my first post,but wanted clarification to a couple things from the OP before adding additional diagnostic info.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

    VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE I, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID sealed beam style headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, Mid-State Club Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, GENUINE MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2016

    Posts:    208

    Dennis,
    Yes, my response was for the OP. One of those things where we both responded almost simultaneously. I thought I was the first response. But you were just a little faster. I scrolled up and mistook your signature for the originating post. At least great minds plow the same row

    Ron

  7. #7
    Delorean Guru
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Northern NJ

    Posts:    6,700

    My VIN:    10757

    Club(s):   (DMA)

    Do you hear the relays clicking? Also check that the high beam filament in BOTH headlights are not burned out. The bulbs with 3 brass terminals have a low beam and a high beam filament and one or the other (and sometimes both) can be burned out. One terminals is the common and each of the other terminals is the other end of each filament.
    David Teitelbaum

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date:  Nov 2015

    Posts:    19

    Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Do you hear the relays clicking? Also check that the high beam filament in BOTH headlights are not burned out. The bulbs with 3 brass terminals have a low beam and a high beam filament and one or the other (and sometimes both) can be burned out. One terminals is the common and each of the other terminals is the other end of each filament.
    Thank you all! I will check these things tomorrow.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Senior Member OverlandMan's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Rowlett, TX

    Posts:    1,498

    My VIN:    5482

    When I bought my car several years ago, the high beams didn't work. I could hear the relay clicking when I turned them on but no lamps. I ended up replacing the headlight switch with the DMCH repro modified system and this resolved my issue. As a result, I deduced my original headlight switch was bad.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date:  Nov 2015

    Posts:    19

    It is now fixed. I re seated the fuses and it started working.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •