My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Why does this keep happening?

IMG_4837.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -----Dan B.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Just a thought but if it keeps walking out on one side, is it maybe supposed to go on the other way?

The sides seem to be the same height. The other side of the car is fine but has more room between the poly and the raised part of the bar. Maybe my bar is bad?

IMG_4839.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    <2000

Do you have stock LCAs and setup? I wonder if the brakes grab more on one side than the other, thus pulling the bar out of place slightly? Just a theory..
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    Early

That sway bar looks tweaked towards the drivers side, but first swap the bushings and see if the issue persists.

To add, my car had some flex issues on the drivers side, but it only destroyed my poly bushings on the LCA, not the poly on the frame...
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Are the bracket shims too thick?
    Ron

I've noticed no adverse effects from this, my braking is good-doesn't pull, steering seems fine, etc. I try to get under the car once in a while to make sure everything is where it should be and here we are with this. I'm running stainless LCAs with new bushings all around. I think that I may have a known good bar still, I have to dig to see - I may have tossed it but hopefully I did not; I will swap it out today and see if there is any difference in order to rule out the bar itself being warped.
    -----Dan B.

I ended up finding my original, known to be good ARB. Naturally, I had to restore it from rusty and ugly to clean and painted which took most of the day. I was unable to install it, I ran out of time. I will order new bushings for the bar to LCA and see what happens, likely this coming weekend. As far as the old bar is concerned, I was able to pull/push it back and forth to close/open the gap shown above. Very concerning...
    -----Dan B.

I remember there may have been some damage to the suspension and I was able to confirm my memory in post 4 here: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?91...r-D-to-restore. There was damage to the radiator/condenser on the driver side, I wonder if the bar had been tweaked?

I will compare the current and my replacement bar to see if the current is warped in some way.
    -----Dan B.

Previous message deleted due to photo error.

I decided to swap the ARB tonight. There were a few subtle difference between the two while they were placed on top of each other, but one major difference was the distance between the enlarged part of the bar that pushed the bushing out to begin with. I wonder if there was a production change between early and later ARBs?? The one going in (silver) is the one original to my 5003 vin. The black one was from vin 712, from which I am running the frame. Anyway, swap complete, gap is closed. I will take the D out tomorrow and run it over some speed bumps, make some turns at speed, etc and see what the results are. Unfortunately the above, original pictured poly bushing was damaged, I'll need to replace it at some point.

IMG_4919.jpg

IMG_4920.jpg

IMG_4921.jpg

IMG_4924.jpg

IMG_4926.jpg

IMG_4929.jpg

IMG_4930.jpg
    Last edited by dn010; 04-25-2018 at 09:10 PM.
    -----Dan B.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast