FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: My DeLorean won't start after sitting for 9 months

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My DeLorean won't start after sitting for 9 months

Hi - Any suggestions to narrow down my search would be greatly appreciated...

When last driven 9 or so months ago, the car was working fine.

I tried to start it the other week and it won't fire. Engine cranks normally and there is a slight smell of petrol / gas at the exhaust after cranking on / off for a minute. At no stage did it 'fire'...

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Derek

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Wiggle the connections on the Ballast resistor. Especially the white wire(s)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hi there,

If what Dennis mentioned above checks out, I can think of 2 things fuel related. First, what is the level of gas in the tank and the condition of it? I found that fuel evaporates fairly quickly in these cars so for example, if the tank was at 1/4 tank or less, you might have lost a fair amount over the 9 months. What's left can turn gummy. Because of that, and especially while I was restoring it, I always try to keep my tank as full of non-ethanol fuel as possible and start/run it at least monthly. More often is better.

Secondly, you might have fuel gummed up somewhere in the system as well or instead. Of course, I'd do the normal fuel and spark test first before dismantling anything in that system. There is a "plug swap" and a "mason jar" test that can be done. It could certainly be electrical (and I'm assuming a well charged battery after storage), but after sitting, my guess is something fuel related.

Every car is different of course, but for example, I think there was a recent non start condition after several months of storage. The fuel smell wound up being the car was flooding. It was a stuck plunger in the fuel distributor.

These cars don't like to be sitting that long unfortunately.

Good luck with your trouble shooting.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    No. 4068

We'll assume that the battery is good and passes a load test.
    RIP Rob van de Veer Top bloke

I say Sir, I must be mad, one loves fixing K-Jet !

Make sure there's plenty in the tank for the weekend chaps....

DeLorean Owner, Missouri jmrydholm's Avatar

My VIN:    10715

Mine's been sitting for a good 2&1/2 years. Don't feel bad. I'm probably going to have to check/bleed the brakes and clutch.

Update...

Finally spent some time working on the car today...
    - First confirmed that we have a spark;
    - Then removed an injector and no fuel was present during cranking;
    - Removed fuel line to fuel distributor and no fuel there either;
    - Then checked that fuel pump had power - which it does;
    - Removed fuel pump and bench tested - it works...

So I am assuming that the fuel pressure accumulator is not working / blocked...

What do other people think?

Thanks,

Derek