FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 5 Speed Transmission Removal Q's

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hmm. What is the angle of the bell housing mounting surface relative to the engine mounting surface? ( i.e. Are they still parallel?) Sometimes if the transmission drops in the back or is higher than it should be while bolted up, the end of the input shaft can get hung up in the pilot bearing. This can happen as the engine tilts away from the transmission if supported rigidly.

Other than that the transmission should back away fairly freely.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Stick 2 alignment bolts in. Get 2 prybars and force it apart.
    David Teitelbaum

I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar

My VIN:    5087

Thanks. It was indeed the angles. I had to do a bit of trial and error between the engine and transmission jacks to get them even but it finally slid off. Then I had to get a bunch of things out of the way that were not in the manual to get it down. Rear was hanging on the linkage and cooling pipes. Forgot about disconnecting the clutch line too but that was simple enough. I AM curious how I was shifting exactly though. The clutch slave seal was gone and I've probably been dumping fluid for a while. May have been a recent failure.

IMG_5423.jpgIMG_5426.jpg

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by AirmanPika View Post
    Thanks. It was indeed the angles. I had to do a bit of trial and error between the engine and transmission jacks to get them even but it finally slid off. Then I had to get a bunch of things out of the way that were not in the manual to get it down. Rear was hanging on the linkage and cooling pipes. Forgot about disconnecting the clutch line too but that was simple enough. I AM curious how I was shifting exactly though. The clutch slave seal was gone and I've probably been dumping fluid for a while. May have been a recent failure.

IMG_5423.jpgIMG_5426.jpg
    Excellent! You are welcome. You will want to watch the angles as well when it is time to re-install it. If it doesn't click in place easily, something is wrong. I found that there is little tolerance to correctly insert/remove the input shaft into the pilot bearing.

I had the same leak from the slave when I took mine out the first time. I had dried fluid residue where yours is.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

All of your problems can be due to the leaking slave cylinder. Also looks like you have an extra bit of hardware tied up to the clutch fork.
    David Teitelbaum

I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar

My VIN:    5087

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    All of your problems can be due to the leaking slave cylinder. Also looks like you have an extra bit of hardware tied up to the clutch fork.
    Indeed I was wondering that myself. The bigger issues that existed prior to the failed slave are what are mostly driving the wish to just go with a rebuilt unit. 2nd has never been easy to get into unless you hold the shifter down (otherwise it pops out when you hit the gas). Also I have to manhandle the shifter to get into reverse. Those and the fact that basically every seal on the unit is gone or leaking. All together just adds up to more work than I think I want to deal with.

On a side note, since the rear main seal has been leaking what are thoughts on needing to replace the clutch again? Mine isn't that old and maybe has 5k on it. That said, if any oil got into there the clutch face could be contaminated. I'm somewhat tempted to just be safe and replace it anyway with a fresh setup since I'm in there regardless of condition.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2