FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: 5 Speed Transmission Removal Q's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar

My VIN:    5087

5 Speed Transmission Removal Q's

So I'm in the process of removing the transmission from my car but a few things are not making sense as I go through the manual and look at the car itself.

In steps 4-6 it mentions removing the brackets. There are 3 bolts on the rear case holding the bracket in but I can't figure out how to access the upper bolt. The hole in the bracket doesn't give direct access and maybe my imagination isn't cooperating but I can't see any angle bit fitting either.

Also, in 10-11 there is the protective flywheel shield and magnetic pickup plate. Access to these seems marginal also.

Any advice on how to get these items pulled? I did some research but couldn't find any good references.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

I'm assuming you mean the crossgate bracket (106653). Yeah, for that hard to reach top bolt I used a 1/4" drive 13 mm socket, 2 extensions separated by a knuckle and a ratchet... And a small mirror to help me guide it in.

image.jpg
    That is almost the worst bolt on the gearbox.

(After 4 times removing the transmission or rear cover, I didn't need the mirror anymore.)

For the magnetic pick up plate (101075) , remove the crossover pipe first and you'll have enough room to use a 11mm socket for the 2 7mm bolts. I doubt you have the flywheel inspection plate (101073), if you don't you can feel the flywheel directly with your fingers inside the bottom edge of the clutch housing. If you do have it, I believe you have to lift the engine slightly to remove the 4 7 mm bolts.

Here's my gearbox thread in case it helps any..http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?14...ght=speed+flaw
    Last edited by DMC-81; 05-02-2018 at 07:10 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    I'm assuming you mean the crossgate bracket (106653). Yeah, for that hard to reach top bolt I used a 1/4" drive 13 mm socket, 2 extensions separated by a knuckle and a ratchet... And a small mirror to help me guide it in.

image.jpg
    That is almost the worst bolt on the gearbox.

(After 4 times removing the transmission or rear cover, I didn't need the mirror anymore.)

For the magnetic pick up plate (101075) , remove the crossover pipe first and you'll have enough room to use a 11mm socket for the 2 7mm bolts. I doubt you have the flywheel inspection plate (101073), if you don't you can feel the flywheel directly with your fingers inside the bottom edge of the clutch housing. If you do have it, I believe you have to lift the engine slightly to remove the 4 7 mm bolts.

Here's my gearbox thread in case it helps any..http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?14...ght=speed+flaw
    Thanks for the reply. I agree the bolt you mentioned is a pain but that one I actually figured out. I'm actually trying to figure out the top bolt on the L/R mounting brackets 106341/106342. I do still have the flywheel plate on mine though it seems odd you'd need to lift the engine. That said might just be a good opportunity to go ahead and replace the engine mounts at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by AirmanPika View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I agree the bolt you mentioned is a pain but that one I actually figured out. I'm actually trying to figure out the top bolt on the L/R mounting brackets 106341/106342. I do still have the flywheel plate on mine though it seems odd you'd need to lift the engine. That said might just be a good opportunity to go ahead and replace the engine mounts at the same time.
    Oh I see. Yes, for these, for the top bolt, I used a 17 mm combination wrench on the hard to reach inside and a 17 mm socket /ratchet on the outside.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Oh I see. Yes, for these, for the top bolt, I used a 17 mm combination wrench on the hard to reach inside and a 17 mm socket /ratchet on the outside.
    Thanks I must have gotten frustrated and gave up too soon. That was exactly the trick. The left bracket was a pain thanks to a bolt on the base of the casing but I just used the open end at a different attack angle and it worked. Both brackets are now out.

Quote Originally Posted by AirmanPika View Post
    Thanks I must have gotten frustrated and gave up too soon. That was exactly the trick. The left bracket was a pain thanks to a bolt on the base of the casing but I just used the open end at a different attack angle and it worked. Both brackets are now out.
    Excellent!
    Dana