Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: OEM taillight circuit board screw fix

  1. #1
    Senior Member DMC-81's Avatar
    Join Date:  Apr 2014

    Location:  Florida

    Posts:    1,690

    My VIN:    <2000

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    OEM taillight circuit board screw fix

    Although I tightened up the socket connections on my original taillight circuit boards with a pointed nail punch which worked perfectly initially as described in this thread ( http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13...ED-bulbs/page2 ), after a few miles they both developed a couple intermittent connections. I think this was caused by road vibrations having their effect on the inherent flaw with the rivets, and was aggravated by the somewhat longer and heavier LED bulbs.

    So, I tried the "screw fix" mentioned in the thread.( original source : http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/tailights.htm )

    I chose #2-56 X 5/16" Phillips pan head machine screw, 2 X #2 flat washers, 1 X #2 lock washer, and a #2-56 hex nut, all in stainless steel, in each of the 20 socket rivets.

    I got my hardware from Bolt Depot for less than $10 shipped. The tools I used were a #1 Phillips screwdriver and a 3/16" socket/nut driver. Here is a picture of the parts and part numbers:




    After carefully tightening the rivets up again with the nail punch, I installed the first two screws like so:


    Here is a cross section of the installed hardware. The 5/16" length machine screw is a perfect size for 2 flat and one lock washer:


    All 20 machine screws installed in the right taillight circuit board:


    Here is the left side taillight board strengthened:


    All repaired:


    If your OEM taillight circuit boards are are otherwise good shape, you can try this $10 fix. I just thought I'd add some pictures and process to the known fix and devoting it to a specific thread ( thanks to Gregadeth for posting the original DMCNews link).
    Dana

    1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

  2. #2
    Senior Member Gregadeth's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  Los Angeles, CA

    Posts:    341

    My VIN:    6472

    Great write-up Dana! I'm glad my link helped you.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    47

    I did this same fix years ago and it has been very good - no problems with rear lights.
    Robert
    Belfast

  4. #4
    Delorean Guru
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Northern NJ

    Posts:    6,661

    My VIN:    10757

    Club(s):   (DMA)

    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    I did this same fix years ago and it has been very good - no problems with rear lights.
    Robert
    Belfast
    I also did the "screw fix" back when you could get the hardware at Radio Shack for about $3. I also soldered all of the connections. No problems since. While the improved circuit boards are a very nice fix they are expensive compared to this if you are at all handy. I also added a third brake light on the louvre.
    David Teitelbaum

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •