FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Delorean auto with black interior, low miles wanted

My VIN:    16355

Delorean auto with black interior, low miles wanted

Hello everyone,
    i am looking to purchase a delorean, auto, prefer black interior, (will consider grey) ideally with under 10k miles. It would be great to find a delorean which has also been through a complete refurbishment from one of the respected delorean companies in the u.s.a. Or perhaps a member who has done this work themselves. Documentation and as much history of the car from new is a must. Most importantly the under carriage must be free of rust, corrosion and accident damage/repair. The condition of the chassis is vital as i will have serious issues importing into new zealand.

I am happy to consider a delorean which needs refurbishment but will have to allow $10k - $25k depending on the work required. Trying to get this level of work done in new zealand would not be easy and having the experts in the u.s.a. Complete it before shipping would be advisable.

Budget is under $45k, perhaps a tall order but i am willing to wait and be patient. I would like to enjoy my delorean going for a sunday drive and attending the odd charity event to raise funds for various needy causes. There is a small number of deloreans here in new zealand so catching up with these folk would be fun too. Any thoughts or leads would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

My VIN:    3028

I think that car is covered here;

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?14...highlight=Ryan
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Thank you Michael, this is indeed more or less what I am looking for, however I would prefer under 15k miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyvonviggle View Post
    Thank you for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by peternikkiskinner View Post
    Thank you Michael, this is indeed more or less what I am looking for, however I would prefer under 15k miles.
    When I was at Mercedes we had a guy come in who wanted a S Class. His particulars were no more than 3 years old, certain optins, and no more than 50k miles. His maximim he was willing to spend was 30k. (Most s classes in this category are 50k minimum)
    I told him sure, we would call him as soon as one appears. This was aboit 17 years ago. To my knowledge he is still waiting on that call.
    Good luck in your search.

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by peternikkiskinner View Post
    this is indeed more or less what I am looking for, however I would prefer under 15k miles.
    Imho, 44k miles is a near-perfect milage for a 37 year-old DeLorean and considering Ryan has done all of the upgrade work for you - it's a spectacular car for the price. Heck, in my opinion it's a $60k+ car in today's market at a $40k price point. Cars like Ryan's are rare. Cosmetically excellent and mechanically and electrically sound. The 44k miles just says that it's been exercised over the past 37 years - and we all know DeLoreans are at their best when exercised regularly. Low milage cars, barn finds, sitters etc. are a whole other headache.

I'd seriously consider Ryan's car. I've seen it in person, and as a perfectionist, it's a stunning example of the marque and a no-brainer at the price point.
    DeLorean DMC-12 (October 1981)
    Manual transmission. Grooved hood. Grey interior. Rear antenna.
    Obsessive perfectionist and 64th annual 2019 Hillsborough Concours D'Elegance class winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    When I was at Mercedes we had a guy come in who wanted a S Class. His particulars were no more than 3 years old, certain optins, and no more than 50k miles. His maximim he was willing to spend was 30k. (Most s classes in this category are 50k minimum)
    I told him sure, we would call him as soon as one appears. This was aboit 17 years ago. To my knowledge he is still waiting on that call.
    Good luck in your search.
    Thank you for your suggestions and insight into Ryan's Delorean.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Bennett View Post
    Imho, 44k miles is a near-perfect milage for a 37 year-old DeLorean and considering Ryan has done all of the upgrade work for you - it's a spectacular car for the price. Heck, in my opinion it's a $60k+ car in today's market at a $40k price point. Cars like Ryan's are rare. Cosmetically excellent and mechanically and electrically sound. The 44k miles just says that it's been exercised over the past 37 years - and we all know DeLoreans are at their best when exercised regularly. Low milage cars, barn finds, sitters etc. are a whole other headache.

I'd seriously consider Ryan's car. I've seen it in person, and as a perfectionist, it's a stunning example of the marque and a no-brainer at the price point.
    Thank you C Bennett for your thoughts on Ryan's Delorean.

I don't think you are totally unrealistic in your goals. You know what you want and your maximum is what they are going for in this market however (as mentioned earlier) that mileage thing just doesn't matter that much. You should not put that much emphasis on mileage. Contrary to most cars, low mileage DeLoreans that start seeing frequent use are not exactly reliable if they have been sitting for years (if not decades). Here is one that meets your criteria other than mileage but at 38k that's like 1,000 miles a year! I seriously doubt that this car has been driven that frequently, most likely half of that was in the first 5 or 6 years and probably has several years here and there of being parked. The upside is the price is over 10k less than your max budget. The down side of this one over the well known and loved example mentioned earlier that you dismissed is that this one may or may not need quite a bit to make reliable.

https://www.machinerytrader.com/list...elorean-dmc-12

Edit: upon looking at the pics of this ad again, I see an original coolant bottle and not a whole lot of paperwork that tells me this car probably (underscored for the David T types out there who have to contradict everything) hasn't been driven much in the last decade.
    Last edited by Michael; 05-10-2018 at 07:15 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast