FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooling Fans, who's are better?

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Cooling Fans, who's are better?

OK, So as I am trying to figure out My A/C issue I have been looking at updating my cooling fans. I've looked at Toby's From Delorean parts NW, DMCH, and DPI. Can I get some input please. What do you have? How do they work? (I know they cool the Antifreeze ) Pros or Cons?
    I see Deloreasn parts NW have a limited life time warranty, what do the other vendors offer?

Thanks for the input!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Changing the cooling fan motors won't do anything for the A/C if the ones you have are working.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    03572

They all seem to work fine. One of the vendors overseas has some that draw 3.5 amps so not sure about those. Most draw 7 to 8 amps each. I have Toby's fans in my car and the EU radiator.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    2805

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

I'm running Toby's as well, installed last year with a new radiator from DMC Midwest. Haven't had any issues yet. The ONLY thing I might say that is a "negative" (a VERY small negative) is that they are pretty quite. Which is nice, but you really have to listen to hear them running, if you are worried about them coming on. My otterstat failed making the car overheat, leaving me stranded needing a tow. So I'm still a bit jumpy when it comes to the fans so I still like to hear them come on. If you are in a high noise environment, you may have to open the door to hear them. However, I'm very happy with them. Just food for thought.

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Quote Originally Posted by Nate88 View Post
    I'm running Toby's as well, installed last year with a new radiator from DMC Midwest. Haven't had any issues yet. The ONLY thing I might say that is a "negative" (a VERY small negative) is that they are pretty quite. Which is nice, but you really have to listen to hear them running, if you are worried about them coming on. My otterstat failed making the car overheat, leaving me stranded needing a tow. So I'm still a bit jumpy when it comes to the fans so I still like to hear them come on. If you are in a high noise environment, you may have to open the door to hear them. However, I'm very happy with them. Just food for thought.
    Quiet isn't bad. That's good info though. I know the stock fans are loud!

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

You can wire your Fan Fail lamp to operate when the fans are running. It’s a great way to keep an eye on things and monitor AC cycles too.

I run Toby’s fans.

New fans won’t solve AC issues.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Changing the cooling fan motors won't do anything for the A/C if the ones you have are working.
    You are correct, but I am also looking to update/improve/make sure the car is a reliable driver. I wouldn't mind helping the charging system out by improving things that cause a strain on the system.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I have DMC EU aluminum radiator and DPI fans w/ stainless shroud. The fans move the air quite well, they blow the leaves out from under my car when they come on and they are not loud inside the car.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

[QUOTE=sdg3205;234282]You can wire your Fan Fail lamp to operate when the fans are running. It’s a great way to keep an eye on things and monitor AC cycles too.

QUOTE]

+1 on the cooling fan fail light mod. I have done this on both of my DeLoreans. The mod itself is well documented and consists of an additional single jumper wire in the former fan fail relay location. Since the A/C compressor triggers the cooling fans, in addition to monitoring my cooling fan operation, the cooling fan light also allows me to monitor the cycling of my A/C compressor.

In addition to the wiring mod, I removed the A/C control panel and used a toothpick and black paint to cover the word "fail" from the rear of the decal. Now the light simply reads "Cooling Fan."

I would also recommend adding a manual otterstat override switch just for the sake of safety. I installed the otterstat override switch in the center console in a former location of a dummy switch. In the alternative, always carry a jumper wire in the event of an otterstat failure.
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

My VIN:    01279

electrical cooling fans, who's are better

in the years that I have been the owner of
    delorean and mechanic of these cars,
    I've learned that they must have
    strong cooling fans.
    I live in Puerto Rico in the Caribbean area
    where it's pretty hot all year round, and
    I always recommend using strong fans
    like these that are available on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Cabriole...19.m1438.l2649

the prices are quite accessible

I'm going to give you an example of fans that I would not use
    There is a seller of delorean parts that offers cooling fans
    very silent, they hardly feel when they turn on.
    but they have a serious disadvantage, if one of the fans stops working
    the delorean overheats.
    A fan alone can not remove the heat from the radiator.
    I always research the origin of many of the products
    offered by these vendors.
    and I discovered that cooling fans are cheap replacements made for honda accord
    of very cheap construction.
    Its value is roughly $ 28 to $ 30 dollars each.

I always recommend that you research about the products
    They offer these stores.
    and they will discover that many of the products can be obtained
    of better quality at a better price.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast