FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cooling Fans, who's are better?

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Thanks for the tip! these look promising.
    do they bolt up or are modifications to the shroud required?
    They required about 5mm of sanding on the inside of the motor mounting ring on the shroud. The fan itself is the same diameter as factory with the addition of another fan blade.

I also soldered in sealed connectors from a VW. Maybe I'll post a pic of it installed....
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Ordered the set of the VW fans for 11408.
    Looking forward to the upgrade. Will be wiring in a dedicated Relay for both High and Low speed, and run an 8 guage wire to the fans for both.
    My ecu has outputs for High and Low speed fans so this works great.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Interesting that you can control by selecting high and low speeds. On some cars they do it by turning on 1 fan at a time. For instance the A/C would turn on 1 fan and the "O" switch would turn on the other through the ECU. Controlling the fans individually gives you some choices. It allows you to stagger the start-up and shut down too. The ECU can also control the fans based on vehicle speed. Using an ECU to control the fans allows you to run the fans using a lot of different logic conditions. Back in the 80's they didn't have this level of technology. For instance, if the battery is low the ECU could increase the idle speed to get the alternator to produce more electric. If the motor is overheating it retards the timing so the motor produces less power and less heat. Point is, if you have an ECU you can do a LOT of things that couldn't be done back when the car was built.
    David Teitelbaum

Installed these tonight. Not really bolt in, but the fan shroud is modified in such a way it could be reverted to stock.

Used these fans https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Meyle-Auxili...53.m2749.l2649

Hole approx 2mm too small in diameter

Reamed out the hole with a die grinder

The mounting studs were too large of a bolt circle so I knocked them out and slotted the holes inwards

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

Following up

These VW fans are the highest performance fans you can fit to your delorean than I know of.
    I just got back from a 6100km road trip with AC blasting the entire time, up to 100F ambient temp, V8 swapped car.
    The coolant temperature never got above 225 at any point in time. I have the high speed fans kick in at 220... Low speed fans kick in at 213 or whenever the AC is on and the car is moving slower than 65mph.

I have the temp guage on the dash disconnected, which is a terrible idea, but that shows how confident I am in these fans.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Following up

These VW fans are the highest performance fans you can fit to your delorean than I know of.
    I just got back from a 6100km road trip with AC blasting the entire time, up to 100F ambient temp, V8 swapped car.
    The coolant temperature never got above 225 at any point in time. I have the high speed fans kick in at 220... Low speed fans kick in at 213 or whenever the AC is on and the car is moving slower than 65mph.

I have the temp guage on the dash disconnected, which is a terrible idea, but that shows how confident I am in these fans.
    Interesting. My car has VW OEM (Stamped with the VW logo) fans on it that were installed by the prior owner (I bought in 199. I've never seen anything that moved more air. They look very similar to yours other than that they only have two leads, i.e. not multi-speed. A small spacer was required on each mounting ear to set the correct depth.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    10201

And if you want them with lifetime replacement warranty https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aud...-165959455ammy

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    And if you want them with lifetime replacement warranty https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aud...-165959455ammy
    +1 on FCP Euro. It's where I go for all my BMW parts because of their unbelievable warranty and lifetime replacement. I highly recommend to anyone buying parts for their european car.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee

Basically you buy a part, use it, and get free replacements forever. Including fluids like engine oil, brake fluid, gear oil, etc. I've been getting free oil changes on my car for a couple of years now minus the cost of shipping back the used oil. What would be around $90 to change the oil, oil filter, and air filter now costs $30 in return shipping charges.

I've got 325,000 miles on my E46 and I'm on my second/third round of free wear items like cooling system parts, suspension bushings, shocks, brakes, etc.

My VIN:    10201

I haven't done a replacement yet but have a few returns and it's been really painless. To be honest I'm not sure what they'd do about using them in a different car than they have listed, but they didn't hassle me about returning an e36 part that didn't fit my z3.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Interesting. My car has VW OEM (Stamped with the VW logo) fans on it that were installed by the prior owner (I bought in 199. I've never seen anything that moved more air. They look very similar to yours other than that they only have two leads, i.e. not multi-speed. A small spacer was required on each mounting ear to set the correct depth.
    I really like the Multispeed fans for my setup, but for a stock delorean the one speed fan would be the best.
    I think the ones I have xref to a MK3 golf (and similar)

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast