FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cooling Fans, who's are better?

I just installed Toby's fans and they work well. They move a lot of air. They are quieter but you can hear them if you listen. I also have Dave's electronic fan fail relay so it will indicate with the fan fail light if either or both fans fail.

Ron

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    I just installed Toby's fans and they work well. They move a lot of air. They are quieter but you can hear them if you listen. I also have Dave's electronic fan fail relay so it will indicate with the fan fail light if either or both fans fail.

Ron
    Thats what I am leaning towards doing. Toby's fans and Daves Fan Fail module. Seems like a very nice combo.

My VIN:    16811

Cooling Fans, who's are better?

Quote Originally Posted by hippieman9 View Post
    Thats what I am leaning towards doing. Toby's fans and Daves Fan Fail module. Seems like a very nice combo.
    I cannot stress enough the advantage of coupling Dave’s fan fail relay along with his electronic otterstat. Remove that antiquated, sensitive and failing device from your Delorean and catch up with modern control of your fan system. Not only can you rely on it to make sure cooling fans are running when they’re supposed to, but also eliminates the risk involved when air is introduced into the system that your fans will not run due to the stock otterstat not touching water. To add to its functionality, if there’s s temperature issue it will beep and warn you if the temp rises past any threshold you set and the best part for me is I can adjust it to have the fans come in at any temp I desire. In my opinion this is probably the most intelligent modification anyone has produced to ensure a Delorean will not suffer engine damage from a cooling system issue or simply not noticing that your gauge is elevated at any given time. One hell of an insurance policy for only $79.00 if you ask me and the device works flawlessly!

If you value your Delorean, do yourself a favor and install one of these, and you can thank me later for the advice when you avoid your next overheat.

To add, the fan fail relay eliminates the burning hot fuse jumpers as well which is the case even with aftermarket fans. The fuses in the relay are cool to the touch on my car despite desert heat where I live and fans running for long intervals.

Edit: above I mentioned “remove”. I meant to remove the variable of failure, not the actual device.
    Last edited by Flash66; 05-09-2018 at 03:31 PM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Changing the fans to the more modern, lower current type is much less of a strain on the car's electrical system. When those OEM fans both kick on at the same time (when you don't have a relay that will sequence them) is such a hard hit that you can actually feel it in the gas pedal. That said it is important that the fans be installed correctly. They should be shrouded but you can't use the stock shroud. They need to be well fastened but there is no easy way to do it. Don't do the fans to compensate for a bad radiator or other problem that causes the motor to run hot. If you do the fans it is probably the time to get a new, better radiator so you can do everything at once. Make sure you have the uprated cooling fan circuit breaker. A Fanzilla or other solid-state relay controller is a great addition, much better than those fan fail relay jumpers that were only meant to be a "temporary" fix! The stock Otterstadt switch doesn't have a high failure rate. I don't like the override switch, too easy to forget it, leave it on, and run the fans continuously. If the car is working right you should never need it. Consider adding an overflow bottle to the radiator cap dump hose. Use 50/50 soft water and a premium Anti-Freeze like Prestone (the good ole green stuff).
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    When those OEM fans both kick on at the same time (when you don't have a relay that will sequence them) is such a hard hit that you can actually feel it in the gas pedal.
    I wouldn't agree with that based on my experience. I think that can happen when one or more systems are in marginal condition. I am running restored (disassembled, cleaned, and case painted) OEM fans with a new DMC radiator & cooling system kit (K118675), DMC alternator 110101, and upgraded DMC relay (K111168A) and fuse (106913) kits. No fan sequencing relay yet. So far, I find these cooling and electrical systems to be rock solid. Even in 100 + degree Florida summer days, it has never overheated, and I never see a dip in the voltage gauge or feel it in the gas pedal when the fans come on. I get the desire to install low amp fans, but I haven't seen the inferior performance, or impact on the electrical system of the OEM fans yet.

Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    01279

Cooling Fans, who's are better?

Quote Originally Posted by jorge figueroa View Post
    in the years that I have been the owner of
    delorean and mechanic of these cars,
    I've learned that they must have
    strong cooling fans.
    I live in Puerto Rico in the Caribbean area
    where it's pretty hot all year round, and
    I always recommend using strong fans
    like these that are available on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Cabriole...19.m1438.l2649

the prices are quite accessible

I'm going to give you an example of fans that I would not use
    There is a seller of delorean parts that offers cooling fans
    very silent, they hardly feel when they turn on.
    but they have a serious disadvantage, if one of the fans stops working
    the delorean overheats.
    A fan alone can not remove the heat from the radiator.
    I always research the origin of many of the products
    offered by these vendors.
    and I discovered that cooling fans are cheap replacements made for honda accord
    of very cheap construction.
    Its value is roughly $ 28 to $ 30 dollars each.

I always recommend that you research about the products
    They offer these stores.
    and they will discover that many of the products can be obtained
    of better quality at a better price.
    this fan is even better

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COOLING-FAN...z8:rk:152:pf:0

My VIN:    Early

I mounted a set of these amp suckers (35 amps for both) since I've improved my electrical system. Holy damn, these push more than enough air. They are definitely going to come in handy when I'm running my engine swap with a turbo.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Thanks for the tip! these look promising.
    do they bolt up or are modifications to the shroud required?

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Thanks for the tip! these look promising.
    do they bolt up or are modifications to the shroud required?
    I’m wondering the same thing.

EDIT: Here it is on Amazon and you can see the mounting points.

TOPAZ 165959455L Radiator Cooling Fan Motor for Volkswagen Golf Jetta https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XX7CWT2..._cxh3BbE5JMPXE
    Last edited by Patrick C; 11-02-2018 at 12:06 PM.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by hippieman9 View Post
    OK, So as I am trying to figure out My A/C issue I have been looking at updating my cooling fans. I've looked at Toby's From Delorean parts NW, DMCH, and DPI. Can I get some input please. What do you have? How do they work? (I know they cool the Antifreeze ) Pros or Cons?
    I see Deloreasn parts NW have a limited life time warranty, what do the other vendors offer?

Thanks for the input!
    Another bonus for Toby's' fans is for his warranty. After about 5 years of use one of my Toby's fan's motors died. Since I was the original purchaser of his fan he honored the warranty without question. Sent a replacement motor & return shipping label for broken unit to return to his supplier. Great customer service. Of course, if your not a freak like me who constantly drives their car - go for a cheaper Amazon version and let the next owner of your car deal with it. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate88 View Post
    I'm running Toby's as well, [[ snip ]] The ONLY thing I might say that is a "negative" (a VERY small negative) is that they are pretty quite. Which is nice, but you really have to listen to hear them running, [[ snip ]]
    I installed what I call a "fan meter" so I can hear the fans when they run. Or commonly known as a CB Radio. It makes a small buzz when turning on and running. Can even hear each fan start and stop when the AC is running since I have the Fan Zilla which staggers the on & off of each fan for less current draw. Just hard wired it to the battery terminal so I can listen to the truckers when the power is off. Very period correct too might I add. :-)
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast