FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Purple 12v constant for stereo keeps blowing glass fuse

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    6982

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Are you using the purple wire for just the constant power, i.e. radio settings saver or for regular listening power? The green/white wire that is "switched" and only comes on with the ignition is meant for regular listening power while the purple wire is always on and saves your radio settings. Both have their own inline glass fuses but they carry different loads. I don't know what else is on that purple wire of yours, but maybe it is getting overloaded if you're trying to power the stereo with it? It does sound like you have a short in and around the cigar lighter too, so not just one thing going on here. I know some of those wires running under the gear shifter plate can get wiggled into tight spaces and then rub up against some of the sharp metal edges of the brackets. Could be something exposed there. The power supplied to the PRND21 light on the automatics is tucked under there as well. It isn't used in the manual transmission cars but the wire is still there. It might have become exposed and shorted itself out against something else. Lift up the shifter plate, ashtray and maybe even the centre console and have a look.
    the cigar lighter is def a point of contention with my car, the light for the green ring around the lighter doesn't work for some reason, but even with all the radio issues the cigar lighter still works.

the purple and green wires aren't spliced into anything other than their intended purposes from what I can see.

the clock isn't connected at all and I know those wires are shared with the radio?
    Last edited by smallclone; 05-10-2018 at 09:06 AM.