FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Purple 12v constant for stereo keeps blowing glass fuse

My VIN:    6982

Purple 12v constant for stereo keeps blowing glass fuse

The purple 12v constant to the stereo keeps blowing the glass in line fuse after a few minutes or so of use. I have an after market kenwood. The only thing i did was disconnect the open door buzzer, thinking this was the issue i put it back but fuses keep blowing.

Any suggestions?

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Radio purple wire is fed via fuse 17 along with The cigarette lighter aka 12v port and clock if fitted.

The door buzzer is fed from fuse 6.

If your popping the glass fuse the problem is in your radio or harness adaptation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Are you using the correct size glass fuse? Refer to the radio's specs.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    16811

You have a dead short. Find it.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Are you using the correct size glass fuse? Refer to the radio's specs.
    Whats the correct fuse amperage?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Refer to the radio's specs. You said you have an after-market radio.
    David Teitelbaum

In trying to find some kind of break in the wiring i managed to get a shock from the cigar lighter and since then the unit wont power up when connected to the harness. I checked every fuse and inline fuse and none are blown. I hooked up the stereo straight to the battery and it powers on. Im beyond stumped at this point.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Did you hook directly too the battery with just a power wire, or did you also use a new ground wire?

Do you have Digital Volt Meter? If so, you need to verify the continuity between the fuse 17 and the connector at the radio.

Post some photos of your wiring too.

DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Did you hook directly too the battery with just a power wire, or did you also use a new ground wire?

Do you have Digital Volt Meter? If so, you need to verify the continuity between the fuse 17 and the connector at the radio.

Post some photos of your wiring too.

when I tested the head unit I used a spare harness and touched the yellow to the positive of the battery and the black ground to the ground on the battery and it worked.

when I hooked it back into the harness in the car, its DOA.

I did notice the buzzer fuse was blown which I think happened when I disconnected the buzzer itself, it may have touched something and blew. I don't think that would be the original reason for the purple in-line fuse to blow all the time, but who knows.

question. could the filter caps in the radio grounds go bad and cause this issue?

when I get home ill take some pictures.

My VIN:    3937

Are you using the purple wire for just the constant power, i.e. radio settings saver or for regular listening power? The green/white wire that is "switched" and only comes on with the ignition is meant for regular listening power while the purple wire is always on and saves your radio settings. Both have their own inline glass fuses but they carry different loads. I don't know what else is on that purple wire of yours, but maybe it is getting overloaded if you're trying to power the stereo with it? It does sound like you have a short in and around the cigar lighter too, so not just one thing going on here. I know some of those wires running under the gear shifter plate can get wiggled into tight spaces and then rub up against some of the sharp metal edges of the brackets. Could be something exposed there. The power supplied to the PRND21 light on the automatics is tucked under there as well. It isn't used in the manual transmission cars but the wire is still there. It might have become exposed and shorted itself out against something else. Lift up the shifter plate, ashtray and maybe even the centre console and have a look.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast