FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Purple 12v constant for stereo keeps blowing glass fuse

My VIN:    6982

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Are you using the purple wire for just the constant power, i.e. radio settings saver or for regular listening power? The green/white wire that is "switched" and only comes on with the ignition is meant for regular listening power while the purple wire is always on and saves your radio settings. Both have their own inline glass fuses but they carry different loads. I don't know what else is on that purple wire of yours, but maybe it is getting overloaded if you're trying to power the stereo with it? It does sound like you have a short in and around the cigar lighter too, so not just one thing going on here. I know some of those wires running under the gear shifter plate can get wiggled into tight spaces and then rub up against some of the sharp metal edges of the brackets. Could be something exposed there. The power supplied to the PRND21 light on the automatics is tucked under there as well. It isn't used in the manual transmission cars but the wire is still there. It might have become exposed and shorted itself out against something else. Lift up the shifter plate, ashtray and maybe even the centre console and have a look.
    the cigar lighter is def a point of contention with my car, the light for the green ring around the lighter doesn't work for some reason, but even with all the radio issues the cigar lighter still works.

the purple and green wires aren't spliced into anything other than their intended purposes from what I can see.

the clock isn't connected at all and I know those wires are shared with the radio?
    Last edited by smallclone; 05-10-2018 at 09:06 AM.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by smallclone View Post
    the cigar lighter is def a point of contention with my car, the light for the green ring around the lighter doesn't work for some reason, but even with all the radio issues the cigar lighter still works.

the purple and green wires aren't spliced into anything other than their intended purposes from what I can see.

the clock isn't connected at all and I know those wires are shared with the radio?
    The cig light is different circuit. The bulb could just be burnt out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

it should be noted im running two power amps, p conn from the head unit to the amps. could it be the radio bracket ground cant handle it?

My VIN:    03572

it should be noted im running two power amps, p conn from the head unit to the amps. could it be the radio bracket ground cant handle it?
    From what i remember, the radio bracket ground is very poor. I think it just used one 19 AWG wire going back to the relay compartment grounds. But a bad ground is not going to blow fuses.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Did you hook directly too the battery with just a power wire, or did you also use a new ground wire?

Do you have Digital Volt Meter? If so, you need to verify the continuity between the fuse 17 and the connector at the radio.

Post some photos of your wiring too.

So tested the green and white wire with a voltage meter, in the radio, and clock, looking good there.

Tested the purple in for the radio and clock and nodda. Tested the purple in the cigar lighter and that looks good.
    Im stumped because i thought the cigar light clock and radio shares the same 12v line (purple)

So tested the green and white wire with a voltage meter, in the radio, and clock, looking good there.

Tested the purple in for the radio and clock and nodda. Tested the purple in the cigar lighter and that looks good.
    Im stumped because i thought the cigar light clock and radio shares the same 12v line (purple)
    Tested voltage at the fuse too and its good

My VIN:    03572

Yes the lighter shares the radio purple wire. There are some other purple wire circuits so maybe you attached to one of those.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Yes the lighter shares the radio purple wire. There are some other purple wire circuits so maybe you attached to one of those.
    That was it! The purple wire from the lighter that goes to the clock and radio was fried!

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Purple 12v constant for stereo keeps blowing glass fuse

Nothing better than that ah ha moment and a victory.

Last edited by DMC5180; 05-10-2018 at 08:17 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Nothing better than that ah ha moment and a victory.

Youre telling me!

Replaced in-line fuses with correct specs and all is well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2