FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: A pillar Repair

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

A pillar Repair

So t reattach the A pillar trim, does the windshield have to come out? Is this glued right to the pillar? Or can i re-glue it and clamp it in place to fix it? IMG_4180.jpg

I wasn't sure if this clips in like newer vehicles or is a glue in piece.

Thanks!

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The original trim is glued to the A pillar before the windshield is installed. So, technically if you want to look original you would need to have the glass removed and hope it doesn’t break in the process. However, if the glass is already cracked especially near the mirror mount , then fixing the A pillars at that time is a no brainer.

Their is an alternate method, that doesn’t require windshield removal, but it requires using the replacement Fiberglass A pillar covers. They don’t warp with heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    The original trim is glued to the A pillar before the windshield is installed. So, technically if you want to look original you would need to have the glass removed and hope it doesn’t break in the process. However, if the glass is already cracked especially near the mirror mount , then fixing the A pillars at that time is a no brainer.

Their is an alternate method, that doesn’t require windshield removal, but it requires using the replacement Fiberglass A pillar covers. They don’t warp with heat.

Gotcha, So are the originals attached with clips? I don't wanna pry on it or anything because I can live with the slight separation for now .

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

No clips, the backing piece just sits there, and is held in place with the glued vinyl too the A-pillar and also glued and wrapped under the inner door seal.

DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Just resurrecting this but has any one had any success in the exact same example in finding a bloody strong adhesive (Hysol?) and re-gluing it without removing the windshield? Doing that is not an option for me because if the windshield breaks I have no way of getting another

My VIN:    10353

I fixed mine with some clear general purpose silicone adhesive caulking. Took a flexible plastic drinking straw and cut it in half. Then shoved one end on the gun and the other end between the glass and trim. Then had a helper squeeze the caulking gun while I directed the silicone through the straw. Put some clamps on to cure overnight. Fixed.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonty View Post
    ....Doing that is not an option for me because if the windshield breaks I have no way of getting another
    Looks like you have an option that doesn't call for windshield replacement. Good luck with your fix.

Writing this only to mention there are reproduction windshields available from DMC if not also from others.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Thanks all - I know there are replacement screens from DMC but the cost to ship them to internationally is astronomical.