FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cracking noise and missing. Tach also jumping. Help!

My VIN:    No. 4068

You could do a test and check if the throttle closed switch is not intermittent too, as this would effect both circuits.
    RIP Rob van de Veer Top bloke

I say Sir, I must be mad, one loves fixing K-Jet !

Make sure there's plenty in the tank for the weekend chaps....

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by NckT View Post
    You could do a test and check if the throttle closed switch is not intermittent too, as this would effect both circuits.
    I actually deleted that switch when I rewired my engine harness. Maybe I'll reinstall that when I get the chance...
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    I actually deleted that switch when I rewired my engine harness. Maybe I'll reinstall that when I get the chance...
    That would be most if not all of the problem...The vacuum solenoid passes vacuum all the time at idle since the micro-switch is normally On at idle -- Vacuum solenoid power Off means distributor vacuum On, as Dave mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    That would be most if not all of the problem...The vacuum solenoid passes vacuum all the time at idle since the micro-switch is normally On at idle -- Vacuum solenoid power Off means distributor vacuum On, as Dave mentioned.
    It does not always pass vacuum at idle though, and Dave's ecu is supposed to run without the switch installed.

Wonder if Dave's ecu just doesn't like the noise from the new 200w fans I installed... It seems like my ecu issues began after I installed those.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    03572

It does not always pass vacuum at idle though, and Dave's ecu is supposed to run without the switch installed.

Wonder if Dave's ecu just doesn't like the noise from the new 200w fans I installed... It seems like my ecu issues began after I installed those.
    I would not think your 200 watt fans would affect my idle ECU even if the voltage to the ECU dips quite low.

Have you noticed any other problems since you installed those fans?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I would not think your 200 watt fans would affect my idle ECU even if the voltage to the ECU dips quite low.

Have you noticed any other problems since you installed those fans?
    The voltage fluctuates about 1v when initiating the fans, and in drive with AC on, voltage drops from 14.6 to 12.5.

Other than that, I've noticed no other issues.

Sorry, I reworded that post and wound up contradicting myself.
    Looks like you caught it tho...
    I meant to say:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron
    That would be most if not all of the problem...The vacuum solenoid blocks vacuum all the time at idle since the micro-switch is normally On at idle -- Vacuum solenoid power Off means distributor vacuum On, as Dave mentioned.
    =======

Ah!...I didn't know using Dave's unit eliminates the micro-switch.
    But, again to be sure, it should NEVER have vacuum advance at idle. But it does in the first vid (even if it is coming and going)...

Maybe pull the solenoid's plug and put a meter/bulb in it...

After installing new plugs and wires and checking the distributer cap, the car still had issues. At 4000 rpm or so, it would misfire like crazy. So as a test, I disconnected the vacuum advance hose and tried again, and the car now runs great with no misfires!

I guess timing is too advanced then?

My VIN:    No. 4068

Timing for oem Delorean distributor is 13deg btdc, with the distributor vacuum hose disconnected and plugged.

Unless Daves ecu operates the distributor vacuum advance solenoid, you may still need this switch. To verify,
    still perform the test as what Ron said to confirm the correct operation of this solenoid to verify that the pipes are on in the correct order on the solenoid, this is important.
    RIP Rob van de Veer Top bloke

I say Sir, I must be mad, one loves fixing K-Jet !

Make sure there's plenty in the tank for the weekend chaps....

IIRC, At 4000 RPM it should have 13° initial + 20° vacuum + 20° centrifugal = 53° Total advance +/- 2°.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2