FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Routing of power wire for under-car accent lighting

Routing of power wire for under-car accent lighting

I'm adding some under-car accent lighting to use for parades. What's the best way to route power and ground wire to the lights? I was considering commandeering the rear defroster circuit for the lights. Open to suggestions on how to keep it simple.

Thanks,
    Ron

My VIN:    10353

I just finished this with some xprite kit I got from Amazon. I routed the cables through the small holes (drain holes?) behind the driver's seat underneath through the fiberglass body. And then again through the same holes for the other side below the battery.

The front went up by the brake master and then I went through the same hole as the bonnet release cable. Needed an extension wire for that since the kit wasnt long enough.

The rear I just ran along the lower right frame with some tape (not the best but no one will ever see it) and then up through the battery hole on the passenger side.

The cable connections are too large to fit through those drain holes so I took apart the connectors, ran the bare wires through the hole, then reattached the connectors.

Then just wired it directly to the battery terminals and left the box in the battery compartment.

Double sided 3M tape to attach the lights to the car, the rear is really close to my muffler but still works great and hasn't melted!

IMG_20180517_231326_084.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by eight8toy View Post
    I just finished this with some xprite kit I got from Amazon. I routed the cables through the small holes (drain holes?) behind the driver's seat underneath through the fiberglass body. And then again through the same holes for the other side below the battery.

The front went up by the brake master and then I went through the same hole as the bonnet release cable. Needed an extension wire for that since the kit wasnt long enough.

The rear I just ran along the lower right frame with some tape (not the best but no one will ever see it) and then up through the battery hole on the passenger side.

The cable connections are too large to fit through those drain holes so I took apart the connectors, ran the bare wires through the hole, then reattached the connectors.

Then just wired it directly to the battery terminals and left the box in the battery compartment.

Double sided 3M tape to attach the lights to the car, the rear is really close to my muffler but still works great and hasn't melted!

IMG_20180517_231326_084.jpg
    Thanks for providing the detail. I wasn't aware of the drain holes behind the seats so that may be just the ticket for me. My lighting will be along the sides of the car between the wheel wells. I'm fabricating some aluminum angle that will attached using some of the 5M screw nutserts holding the side fascia. It will be removable using thumb screws. I think I would only pop it on for parades.

Also, thanks for the picture. Your lighting looks fantastic. Love the deep blue with the violet contrast.

Ron