FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bolster cover,cap early vin question....

My VIN:    1597

Bolster cover,cap early vin question....

Early vin that has that black "plastic cap" that iirc was later made one piece. You know when you slide in and once in your arm lies on it. "Bolster" is the only name I am aware of.
    My "cap" is showing wear and tear and can be pressed in but it is not flaking off, missing chucks, loose etc.
    I noticed while searching that DMC offers http://store.delorean.com/p-10089-ar...-pair-blk.aspx
    Is this that part?
    Also, they have narrow "in stock" and wide "not". Is this simply a preference?
    I just pulled on it and it does not pop off so I need to figure out how it is attached.
    If nothing else maybe the above cap can slide over and cover the original and if nothing else protect it.
    Appreciate any info.
    "Owning a Delorean is like frying bacon naked."

My VIN:    3937

The narrow and wide options aren't so much preference as they are dictated by when your car was made.

See template to figure out which size you need: Bolster end cap templates.pdf

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Thanks...........
    Not to scale so I will measure mine, post them here or email DMC and figure it out. If someone knows feel free to post. Vin 1597 btw.

EDIT- Tried to measure it but it is like trying to measure a kidney. My guess it the ones out of stock "wide" is what I need. After 35 yrs I have learned that is how these cars work.

Just going by eye it appears to look like the narrow one the right. However, either that picture is flipped or that is for the passengers side.
    Last edited by JIMJAM; 05-15-2018 at 11:29 PM.

I think it is to scale if you print it out on an 8.5x11" piece of paper and then cut them out.

My printer was costing way to much to use and the cost of buying what it needs would cost 2x the cost of the $30 item. Think I will wait and sure somebody knows. If not I will just find some other DMC items to buy and roll the dice on $30 which on the D is about as cheap as it gets. Thanks again for the reply.

My VIN:    3294

I added the plastic "bolster" cap trim pieces to my car a couple of years ago. 30+ years of sliding in and out of the seat started fraying the threads on the end caps. The new plastic pieces come from DMC with two pieces of double sided foam tape. I actually ended up gluing mine in place since the double sided tape didn't hold up to the Tennessee summer heat.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Dig in your goodies box(es) -- I gave you a set of early VIN ones a while back....

Hey Ron, I thought you had fallen off the earth. I have been on my own the last 6 mo and rarely driving the car. During the summer it sits.
    I was about to ship my car up north and spend a small fortune. Found some brown particles in my brake fluid container, its slightly pulling and you can see grooves so its time for a all around brake job,flush. Still need to figure out what tires to get. Talked myself into replacing the exhaust system and about talked myself into getting a EFI installed. Then a med change and my Doc about killed me.
    So I put spending $750 to ship it up there off and trying to figure out if its "time". Either that or spend 5-10 grand, keep her another 5 or so years and let someone else deal with the winged Dream.

Don't recall seeing them in any boxes but considering I have enough spares to build a second car not surprised if I missed them. Sure it was me?

bfloyd- I have the originals? on there but trying to figure out if they are the narrow or wide ones. Of course it would not be that easy. The wide are out of stock so knowing how these cars are, no doubt thats what I need. That said this is about as small of a issue there is.
    Last edited by JIMJAM; 05-16-2018 at 12:26 PM.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Me??? I've been here all along...waiting on it to warm up.

Yeah, I'm sure it was you....Rob remembers it too -- Guess I should have made you pay for em'

$750.00, OMG!!! Call me...

Quote Originally Posted by JIMJAM View Post
    My printer was costing way to much to use and the cost of buying what it needs would cost 2x the cost of the $30 item. Think I will wait and sure somebody knows. If not I will just find some other DMC items to buy and roll the dice on $30 which on the D is about as cheap as it gets. Thanks again for the reply.
    Well measure twice and cut once there bud. I don't keep my home printer going either, not with the price of ink cartridges as high as they are and especially when they go dry long before I've used it all. I do go down to the local Staples/Office Depot and print pages when I need to. They're a whole 10 cents a page.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast