FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Where to find replacement console skins?

My VIN:    3294

Where to find replacement console skins?

I dropped my car (3294) off last week at my local mechanics shop to have some air conditioning work done - simple recharge of the system and swap out the belt. My mechanics 12 year old son stays with him all day at work and was curious about my car (why he's not in school I don't know??). Anyway.. while my car is back in one of the bays waiting for me to come pick it up, (I had to leave it over the weekend) the kid decides to "hang out" in my car and play with the buttons and other things. He started playing with the new cigar lighter (which I had never even used) and decided to test it on the console to see if it was hot. The little shit burned three perfectly round circles into my console skins. Two on the side next to the passenger seat and one right on top.

My wife went today and picked up my car from the shop while i was at work. She didn't notice it as she rarely if ever drives the Delorean. When I got home I started checking out the car and noticed that the cigar lighter element wasn't pushed all the way in. That's when i found the damage. I actually drove to his house and told him about the damage. The kid first lied about doing it, but finally confessed about 20 minutes later. The mechanic has agreed to pay to repair or replace whatever it takes to get it back the way it was. I know he's good for it since I've done business with him for the last 15 years. I checked on the DMCH website and of course it's a no longer available part.

I checked Ebay for that company in Great Britain that makes new leather binnacle covers and they do make console covers, but I only saw them in black.

Anybody got a source for GREY console coverings?
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Give Mike a call - - - -

http://store.delorean.com/p-9858-con...-kit-grey.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by bfloyd View Post
    . I checked on the DMCH website and of course it's a no longer available part.

Is?
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Thanks Dave...
    I'll give Mike and Suzy a call today.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

My VIN:    15190

You might want to talk to your insurance and file a comprehensive claim for vandalism. It should not effect your insurance cost and will ensure you will get paid by shop for everything including the material, labor and upholstery as needed.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If the shop has agreed to cover all of your costs there is no need to file a claim and have this on both of your insurance records. Try Bob 919-477-7516, he has a LOT of used parts. Not only is there a cost to obtain a console, there is freight and it must also be installed. Not a big job but not free either. Recovering is a last resort, it will never match up to the rest of the interior.
    David Teitelbaum

I thought about the "matching" of materials. The console recover from DMC uses the same materials as on the new reproduction seat covers (which I have the two tone version of ) already in my car.

The company in Great Britain also makes the "top" portion of the console in grey leather which will match my binnacle cover I bought from them last summer.

I ordered the replacement console skins that Dave linked to above from DMC Midwest , and the top part from Great Britain today off of Ebay.

Already spent close to $500 so far, and that doesn't include the installation from the upholstery shop.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81