FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: this lovely sound

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

$0.02

IF
    you are at that point, I suggest you just take it to a shop because the flush will make the oil much thinner and turns years of deposits loose (prone to stop something [else?] up).
    The only time I use that miracle in a can is right before a complete tear down of a grungy engine.
    Russian roulette, imho...

My VIN:    6982

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    $0.02

IF
    you are at that point, I suggest you just take it to a shop because the flush will make the oil much thinner and turns years of deposits loose (prone to stop something [else?] up).
    The only time I use that miracle in a can is right before a complete tear down of a grungy engine.
    Russian roulette, imho...
    ive thought about that too, in hindsight im likely going to skip the flush and just do a standard oil change.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I do flushes often. If it is an old car with a lot of miles on it and it hasn't been taken care of and the oil looks lumpy a flush is not a good idea. A low mileage old car should not have a problem. Don't expect the flush to cure a noise. It will probably make it worse. If it is due for an oil change go ahead. Otherwise skip it and have the shop do it after they work on the car.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    I do flushes often. If it is an old car with a lot of miles on it and it hasn't been taken care of and the oil looks lumpy a flush is not a good idea. A low mileage old car should not have a problem. Don't expect the flush to cure a noise. It will probably make it worse. If it is due for an oil change go ahead. Otherwise skip it and have the shop do it after they work on the car.
    its a lower miles car, oil in it is fresh but no clue how old that oil is. ive had the car since march. drove it a bit and parked it till the weather got warmer, started it recently and now I have this issue.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Lower miles or not, with an engine that's stood it's possible a valve is stuck open. While I would try a different approach (and along with Ron I also would not touch motor flush until last resort), try the oil change and see if that helps anything otherwise prepare to bring it in for some service and hope it's something that running will not make worse. Good luck, and let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by smallclone View Post
    its a lower miles car, oil in it is fresh but no clue how old that oil is. ive had the car since march. drove it a bit and parked it till the weather got warmer, started it recently and now I have this issue.
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Lower miles or not, with an engine that's stood it's possible a valve is stuck open. While I would try a different approach (and along with Ron I also would not touch motor flush until last resort), try the oil change and see if that helps anything otherwise prepare to bring it in for some service and hope it's something that running will not make worse. Good luck, and let us know.
    about to do the oil change and noticed the oil filter on the car is a STP s16

i didnt see this on any delorean site as an approved oil filter. could this cause any issues?

My VIN:    <2000

Quote Originally Posted by smallclone View Post
    about to do the oil change and noticed the oil filter on the car is a STP s16

i didnt see this on any delorean site as an approved oil filter. could this cause any issues?
    Well, I don’t know if it specifically caused the issue but it based on some quick research, it wouldn’t have helped. Even if it screwed on properly, I see that it has a relief valve PSI of 12, and it looks like the correct filter has a 25-35 PSI rating.

S16:
    http://www.filtertopia.com/filters/STP/S16.

Bosch:
    https://www.opticatonline.com/part/b...ine-oil-filter

That would mean barely filtering if at all as the car’s pressure is certainly above 12 PSI even at idle.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Well, I don’t know if it specifically caused the issue but it based on some quick research, it wouldn’t have helped. Even if it screwed on properly, I see that it has a relief valve PSI of 12, and it looks like the correct filter has a 25-35 PSI rating.

S16:
    http://www.filtertopia.com/filters/STP/S16.

Bosch:
    https://www.opticatonline.com/part/b...ine-oil-filter

That would mean barely filtering if at all as the car’s pressure is certainly above 12 PSI even at idle.

intersting. thank you!

i did pick up the 3421 and a new 16mm 1.50 drain plug, came with a washer too! i forgot about the drainplug being completely weird so i gotta order the tool to take it off, so looks like ill be waiting.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

FWIW:
    That site shows the Bosch 3421 as being the wrong filter.
    It shows a Bosch 3402 being correct, with a relief pressure of 8-16 psi -- So the STP's 12 psi would be within its specs.
    (...Not that I would use anything other than a Bosch! ;-)

My VIN:    <2000

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    FWIW:
    That site shows the Bosch 3421 as being the wrong filter.
    It shows a Bosch 3402 being correct, with a relief pressure of 8-16 psi -- So the STP's 12 psi would be within its specs.
    (...Not that I would use anything other than a Bosch! ;-)
    That’s interesting. I just use DMC filters to ensure they are correct, but researching our forum states that the Bosch 72150 was correct, but that part number is discontinued. The new part number is 3421.

I saw that 3402 number mentioned as well as a guess. So, by all means if someone with definite information on the correct relief valve pressure and current Bosch part number could chime in, that would be great.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast