Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 59

Thread: this lovely sound

  1. #31
    EFI'd dn010's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jul 2011

    Location:  Florida: Pinellas County

    Posts:    1,568

    My VIN:    5003

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    7 is about right if my memory is fine. Possibly even 8?
    -----Dan B.

  2. #32
    Senior Member DMC-81's Avatar
    Join Date:  Apr 2014

    Location:  Florida

    Posts:    1,725

    My VIN:    <2000

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    7 is about right if my memory is fine. Possibly even 8?
    Yeah, 7 is right (6.8 ). Here are the relevant pages from the owners manual.

    image.jpg image.jpg

    If you are sure that you followed the manual procedures, the original dipstick was inserted all the way before measuring, and the car was level etc., you can try adding a bit at a time to get it in the correct range. The manual states to add a 1/2 pint to compensate for a new filter.

    That would eliminate low oil level as the cause ( unless you verified the level during one of your previous tests).
    Dana

    1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

  3. #33
    Senior Member smallclone's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jul 2011

    Location:  PA

    Posts:    101

    My VIN:    6982

    Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Yeah, 7 is right (6.8 ). Here are the relevant pages from the owners manual.

    image.jpg image.jpg

    If you are sure that you followed the manual procedures, the original dipstick was inserted all the way before measuring, and the car was level etc., you can try adding a bit at a time to get it in the correct range. The manual states to add a 1/2 pint to compensate for a new filter.

    That would eliminate low oil level as the cause ( unless you verified the level during one of your previous tests).
    ocd kicked in and did another oil change, this time with the correct filter. oil levels are fine now.

    again same issue, great at start up then when warm it chatters, i took a long tube and put my ear to the end of it and put it around the valve covers and nothing.

    i put the tube around the manifolds and the sound is certaining coming from there.

    at this point im going to assume its manifold and gasket related. the gaskits seems new but im willing to bet dollars to donuts either the bolts arent tightened to spec or the manifolds werent milled.

    ill keep yall posted.

  4. #34
    Senior Member smallclone's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jul 2011

    Location:  PA

    Posts:    101

    My VIN:    6982

    Quote Originally Posted by smallclone View Post
    ocd kicked in and did another oil change, this time with the correct filter. oil levels are fine now.

    again same issue, great at start up then when warm it chatters, i took a long tube and put my ear to the end of it and put it around the valve covers and nothing.

    i put the tube around the manifolds and the sound is certaining coming from there.

    at this point im going to assume its manifold and gasket related. the gaskits seems new but im willing to bet dollars to donuts either the bolts arent tightened to spec or the manifolds werent milled.

    ill keep yall posted.

    ok got under there again. found some interesting things. put the vaccum hose to the oil pan, no sound. anytime i get it near the passenger side manifold is when it gets super sound, enough to chatter RIGHT in my ear. pin pointed it so close to the MIDDLE of the manifold and snapped a pic of this. look at the brown burn stains coming from DIRECTLY where the sound is.

    im no mechanic but i cant deny the evidence here.

    tell me what yall think, im going to remove the heat stove cover when the car cools down and tighten the manifold bolts there and see where i am.
    Attached Images

  5. #35
    Senior Member DMC-81's Avatar
    Join Date:  Apr 2014

    Location:  Florida

    Posts:    1,725

    My VIN:    <2000

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    That looks like a culprit!

    If it is coming from the exhaust that's encouraging and much less damaging than valve train problems. Although it hasn't happened to me, I have read about others that had rapping sounds. You may also want to check the heat shields on the crossover pipe as well (assuming original exhaust). Here's a thread on that:

    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?15...der-load/page4

    I began to have exhaust leak noise that progressively got worse before I refurbed my exhaust. What a difference new gaskets, planing the manifolds, etc. made!

    Good luck.

    Also, a little bit of OCD helps with these cars.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 05-27-2018 at 03:17 PM.
    Dana

    1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

  6. #36
    Senior Member smallclone's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jul 2011

    Location:  PA

    Posts:    101

    My VIN:    6982

    Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    That looks like a culprit!

    If it is coming from the exhaust that's encouraging and much less damaging than valve train problems. Although it hasn't happened to me, I have read about others that had rapping sounds. You may also want to check the heat shields on the crossover pipe as well (assuming original exhaust). Here's a thread on that:

    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?15...der-load/page4

    I began to have exhaust leak noise that progressively got worse before I refurbed my exhaust. What a difference new gaskets, planing the manifolds, etc. made!

    Good luck.

    Also, a little bit of OCD helps with these cars.
    removed the heatstove cover i tightened the bolts and same sound but certainly not as alarming as before. the gaskets are obviously very new and i dont believe the manifolds were milled.

    if it were rod knock where could i look to make sure? i assumed listening around the oil pan itself would be a good place to start.

    fyi the leak is gone too after tightening the oil pan and adding the thick 20w 50 oil to the car.

  7. #37
    Senior Member DMC-81's Avatar
    Join Date:  Apr 2014

    Location:  Florida

    Posts:    1,725

    My VIN:    <2000

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by smallclone View Post
    removed the heatstove cover i tightened the bolts and same sound but certainly not as alarming as before. the gaskets are obviously very new and i dont believe the manifolds were milled.

    if it were rod knock where could i look to make sure? i assumed listening around the oil pan itself would be a good place to start.

    fyi the leak is gone too after tightening the oil pan and adding the thick 20w 50 oil to the car.
    If the noise is getting quieter, then that's definitely a good sign. I would continue down the path of listening for and fixing exhaust leak noise. For example, 3 of my 6 manifold flanges were compromised so I would agree, even with new gaskets, not milling the manifolds will make the problem come back. Don't forget to check the crossover pipe heat shields too.

    Here is my exhaust refurb thread if it helps any: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?14...hlight=exhaust


    Although not precise, to listen for rod knock I would place your hose on the engine block wall under the exhaust and in the valley (if you can maneuver it there).
    Dana

    1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

  8. #38
    Administrator Ron's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  North GA

    Posts:    4,585

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by smallclone View Post
    ...
    if it were rod knock where could i look to make sure? i assumed listening around the oil pan itself would be a good place to start.
    +1...Sounds like you found the culprit.
    Otrherwise, once you are 100% sure the (new;-) exhaust gaskets are not leaking, you might try pulling the plug wires one at a time....usually, a rod knock will reduce drastically when you get to the correct cylinder(s).

  9. #39
    Senior Member smallclone's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jul 2011

    Location:  PA

    Posts:    101

    My VIN:    6982

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    +1...Sounds like you found the culprit.
    Otrherwise, once you are 100% sure the (new;-) exhaust gaskets are not leaking, you might try pulling the plug wires one at a time....usually, a rod knock will reduce drastically when you get to the correct cylinder(s).
    thanks for all the help, guys.

    ill will keep this thread updated as if anyone in the future has a similar issue.

    since I drained the oil twice I didn't see any metal shavings at all which is a good sign.

  10. #40
    Senior Member smallclone's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jul 2011

    Location:  PA

    Posts:    101

    My VIN:    6982

    IMG_8995.jpg

    so this was a thing yesterday.

    one of the gaskets was on upside down. i brought the manifold to a machine shop and got it milled, he said it was pretty bad.

    im hoping i dont have to do the other side soon.

    will be putting this back on this weekend, hopfully that resolves the issue.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •