FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Comments most welcome

My VIN:    16355

Comments most welcome

I have been looking for an auto D for a few months and this one at Beverley Hills Car Club has just been listed. Here is a link to it

https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/...-12-c-8734.htm

I guess what I am hoping to hear is that it is good cosmetically, particularly the under carriage, body and interior and just needs all the mechanical updates and services done by DMC in Huntington Beach. I also think the price is a bit high, any thoughts on this? I am a bit weary of these people as I know of a few bad cars they have sold and indeed one they still have which is a shocker! To be fair they must get the odd good one from time to time so I wonder if this may be reasonable?

Thank you.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Wow, based on the pictures, I would agree with your assessment, visually speaking. Looks mostly complete/clean. If/how it runs, what works and doesn't work for features, and what recent work was done to it will help you determine the price fairness. Also, I agree with your level of caution with this seller.

Good luck.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You are quite correct, they sell Deloreans in all kinds of condition, from pretty good to awful. They tend to exaggerate. If you are really interested you need to have it inspected by someone who knows Deloreans and you can trust. Much cheaper than buying a bad car and fixing it up. They don't sell cars for a reasonable price. Anything reasonably priced is worse than you think. Their prices tend to run high. At those prices you can buy it from one of the vendors. At least from a vendor you will KNOW what you are getting into.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    3937

The car does look nice. From the pictures. Frame seems to be in good shape. So does the interior and engine bay.

I would ask more about the front fascia and specifically why the passenger headlights don't look like they are sitting quite right to me. Some eyebrowing there, yes, but to me the pair looks like it is not secured properly, like maybe there is something going on with the housing assembly behind it. That part is this one: http://store.delorean.com/p-6884-hea...g-assy-rh.aspx and while it is NLA at the moment, Ed in the UK mentioned he is having some made. His initial date was early January, so that might need some follow-up. Not all the spoiler and rockscreen fasteners are where they should be so maybe that's part of the same story. Ask about it.

Noticed both sides of the car are missing these: http://store.delorean.com/p-10095-se...-exterior.aspx They aren't very expensive and are an easy cosmetic (and functional) improvement to keep the weather off the end of the seatbelt bolt.

Also missing the inside cover from the passenger door pull handle, here: http://store.delorean.com/p-9912-gra...e-rh-grey.aspx You don't need the whole handle, just the cover. And you may not need it if it just fell off inside the door and is still in there somewhere.

There is also no belt on the A/C compressor. Assume this is for a reason and that the A/C does not work. Why it does not work is a mystery. Could be that it just needs a belt. That isn't too likely though and it could be reasonably expensive to get it all working again. That's a guess though and the biggest question mark about the car from the photos.

I would also ask about any history they have on the automatic transmission shift computer governor and specifically whether it has been rebuilt with modern electronics. I feel as though these computer boxes on the automatics all need to be updated. So not a matter of IF but WHEN. If it has not been done already then count on needing to do that on the car to be able to enjoy driving it.

You could ask about whether the auto trans fluid filter has ever been replaced and you might also ask about the fuel accumulator and whether it is new. That and any other records they have and can share on the car.

Yea, being cautious with BHCC is a good decision. They do have some okay cars for sale as well as some awful ones. Choose wisely as the old guy guarding the holy grail in the 3rd Indiana Jones movie liked to say

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Dana, many thanks for your thoughts. I would be getting the work done by DMC Huntington Beach as I assume there will be work to do. It would be great if there was someone who could take a look at it just for peace of mind. I don't mind getting mechanical work done but the under carriage, body and interior need to be really good when importing into New Zealand (no accident damage). No point spending good money after bad eh!

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Wow, based on the pictures, I would agree with your assessment, visually speaking. Looks mostly complete/clean. If/how it runs, what works and doesn't work for features, and what recent work was done to it will help you determine the price fairness. Also, I agree with your level of caution with this seller.

Good luck.

Jonathan, I really appreciate the time you have taken and the comments made. These folk at BBCC are very short on detail. They will not provide any history or do not know as maybe the case. The car was sold in Lexington MO and has been there all of it's life. It did most the the 9,000mls in the first 5 years and then not much since. I really do need to get someone to take a look at it as my gut tells me it is probably worth around $30k allowing $10 - $15k for work. I have a budget of $45k max plus shipping to New Zealand and tax and compliance. New Zealand is particularly hard on cars with rust and accident damage so I am trying to avoid one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    The car does look nice. From the pictures. Frame seems to be in good shape. So does the interior and engine bay.

I would ask more about the front fascia and specifically why the passenger headlights don't look like they are sitting quite right to me. Some eyebrowing there, yes, but to me the pair looks like it is not secured properly, like maybe there is something going on with the housing assembly behind it. That part is this one: http://store.delorean.com/p-6884-hea...g-assy-rh.aspx and while it is NLA at the moment, Ed in the UK mentioned he is having some made. His initial date was early January, so that might need some follow-up. Not all the spoiler and rockscreen fasteners are where they should be so maybe that's part of the same story. Ask about it.

Noticed both sides of the car are missing these: http://store.delorean.com/p-10095-se...-exterior.aspx They aren't very expensive and are an easy cosmetic (and functional) improvement to keep the weather off the end of the seatbelt bolt.

Also missing the inside cover from the passenger door pull handle, here: http://store.delorean.com/p-9912-gra...e-rh-grey.aspx You don't need the whole handle, just the cover. And you may not need it if it just fell off inside the door and is still in there somewhere.

There is also no belt on the A/C compressor. Assume this is for a reason and that the A/C does not work. Why it does not work is a mystery. Could be that it just needs a belt. That isn't too likely though and it could be reasonably expensive to get it all working again. That's a guess though and the biggest question mark about the car from the photos.

I would also ask about any history they have on the automatic transmission shift computer governor and specifically whether it has been rebuilt with modern electronics. I feel as though these computer boxes on the automatics all need to be updated. So not a matter of IF but WHEN. If it has not been done already then count on needing to do that on the car to be able to enjoy driving it.

You could ask about whether the auto trans fluid filter has ever been replaced and you might also ask about the fuel accumulator and whether it is new. That and any other records they have and can share on the car.

Yea, being cautious with BHCC is a good decision. They do have some okay cars for sale as well as some awful ones. Choose wisely as the old guy guarding the holy grail in the 3rd Indiana Jones movie liked to say

Thank you David, well said! Their prices always seem high to me, but I notice recently they have been dropping. Having 3 and now 4 DeLoreans on the car lot that are now "old stock" must eventually result in having to "meet the market."

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    You are quite correct, they sell Deloreans in all kinds of condition, from pretty good to awful. They tend to exaggerate. If you are really interested you need to have it inspected by someone who knows Deloreans and you can trust. Much cheaper than buying a bad car and fixing it up. They don't sell cars for a reasonable price. Anything reasonably priced is worse than you think. Their prices tend to run high. At those prices you can buy it from one of the vendors. At least from a vendor you will KNOW what you are getting into.

The vin is 4273

CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this vehicle_ SCEDT26TXBD004273.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by peternikkiskinner View Post
    I have been looking for an auto D for a few months and this one at Beverley Hills Car Club has just been listed. Here is a link to it

https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/...-12-c-8734.htm

I guess what I am hoping to hear is that it is good cosmetically, particularly the under carriage, body and interior and just needs all the mechanical updates and services done by DMC in Huntington Beach. I also think the price is a bit high, any thoughts on this? I am a bit weary of these people as I know of a few bad cars they have sold and indeed one they still have which is a shocker! To be fair they must get the odd good one from time to time so I wonder if this may be reasonable?

Thank you.

There is something not aligned right on the passenger door. See the picture with a shot from the rear the door is not flush at the rear portion. Also the black side molding on this door is not in line with the rest of it.

Missing the bolt hole caps on the rocker panel too.

Just some that I noticed besides the eyebrows on the front.

Thank you for these observations, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by JETS 81 DMC View Post
    There is something not aligned right on the passenger door. See the picture with a shot from the rear the door is not flush at the rear portion. Also the black side molding on this door is not in line with the rest of it.

Missing the bolt hole caps on the rocker panel too.

Just some that I noticed besides the eyebrows on the front.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast