FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shifting Issue

Shifting Issue

I don't know if this is normal or a sign of an internal issue. My symptoms are:

I cannot get the car into any gear when I first start up. It wants to grind when I try for reverse.
    It will go into all gears when engine is off.
    It will shift when driving. It feels sluggish. Once the car has moved into a forward gear, I can stop and get it into reverse with no grinding
    I haven't put many miles on the car since owning it, but this is certainly a new condition
    I have an engine conversion, so I am running a non DMC master and slave. They are new. I can hold the pedal down with a rod and verify that the fork is a full travel. I can also adjust the slave so that it over travelling.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC VIN 6639 View Post
    I don't know if this is normal or a sign of an internal issue. My symptoms are:

I cannot get the car into any gear when I first start up. It wants to grind when I try for reverse.
    It will go into all gears when engine is off.
    It will shift when driving. It feels sluggish. Once the car has moved into a forward gear, I can stop and get it into reverse with no grinding
    I haven't put many miles on the car since owning it, but this is certainly a new condition
    I have an engine conversion, so I am running a non DMC master and slave. They are new. I can hold the pedal down with a rod and verify that the fork is a full travel. I can also adjust the slave so that it over travelling.
    Can you elaborate on this:

I have an engine conversion, so I am running a non DMC master and slave.
    What engine are you running, and what is the story with your master and slave cylinder? How are you verifying that the fork is at full travel? Also what slave cylinder adjustment do you make to change the travel? It seems like this would have to be made at the master cylinder.

I'm asking because all the symptoms seem to indicate that the clutch isn't fully disengaging. Being a non-stock engine, are you sure that all the offsets are correct for the clutch to fully disengage? More details about this setup (engine and transmission components) would really help.

[QUOTE=Nicholas R;234864]Can you elaborate on this:

What engine are you running, and what is the story with your master and slave cylinder?--- I have a chevy 4.3L. I am running a Wilwood master #2606579 with 1.4" stroke and a Howe Racing slave #829.

How are you verifying that the fork is at full travel?--- The fork contacts the bell housing, it can go no further. It has worked like this for the entire 300 miles I have driven. Also, I say full travel because I can hear the pressure plate just barely nicking the center of the friction plate when i push the pedal all the way to the floor.

Also what slave cylinder adjustment do you make to change the travel? --- The Howe slave has a threaded eyelet that is fully adjustable.

I'm asking because all the symptoms seem to indicate that the clutch isn't fully disengaging. ---My thoughts go here as well. But when it resists going into gear I don't hear any grinding in 1-5 gear. It does grind reverse. When I attempt 1-5, it's like I am hitting a wall with the stick. Driving down the road it doesn't grind. It drives sluggish as if I am in a higher gear.

Being a non-stock engine, are you sure that all the offsets are correct for the clutch to fully disengage? At this point, I should assume nothing. I did not swap the engine. I don't the PO put more than 2 miles on the swap before he offloaded it. When I got, it barely had enough done to go up my street.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

[QUOTE=DMC VIN 6639;234869]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post

Being a non-stock engine, are you sure that all the offsets are correct for the clutch to fully disengage? At this point, I should assume nothing. I did not swap the engine. I don't the PO put more than 2 miles on the swap before he offloaded it. When I got, it barely had enough done to go up my street.
    I'd be putting the original clutch master/slave back in. I agree it sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging for whatever reason. Maybe the aftermarket hydraulics bent the fork after hitting the bell housing prior to full travel...

Have you tied pumping the pedal prior to shifting?

Since your master/slave is aftermarket, do you know what clutch you have installed?
    Last edited by dn010; 05-25-2018 at 02:38 PM.
    -----Dan B.

[QUOTE=dn010;234872][QUOTE=DMC VIN 6639;234869]

1. I'd be putting the original clutch master/slave back in. I agree it sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging for whatever reason. Maybe the aftermarket hydraulics bent the fork after hitting the bell housing prior to full travel...

The master and slave that is in it now has been working for 100 miles. The slave is now a pull style since I don't have a DMC bell housing. When I got the car it had a cheap Dorman universal master that was starting to corrode. If I was not disengaging, shouldn't it be grinding when trying to get into gear?

2. Have you tied pumping the pedal prior to shifting?

I'll give that a go tonight.

3. Since your master/slave is aftermarket, do you know what clutch you have installed?

It is a Delorean Centerforce clutch.

My VIN:    <2000

How old is the gear oil in the transmission, and have you checked the level recently?

What is the grade? 80/90?
    Last edited by DMC-81; 05-25-2018 at 03:54 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    How old is the gear oil in the transmission, and have you checked the level recently?

What is the grade? 80/90?
    While the wrong or not enough oil may cause these symptoms, since you have a non-stock motor, my suspicions would point to some problem where the clutch is not fully disengaging making it difficult to shift gears while the internals are still spinning. Park the car on a level surface. Shut off the motor. Release the parking brake. Put the transmission into reverse. You should not be able to push the car. Now step on the clutch. If you still can't move the car you have a problem with the clutch.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    While the wrong or not enough oil may cause these symptoms, since you have a non-stock motor, my suspicions would point to some problem where the clutch is not fully disengaging making it difficult to shift gears while the internals are still spinning. Park the car on a level surface. Shut off the motor. Release the parking brake. Put the transmission into reverse. You should not be able to push the car. Now step on the clutch. If you still can't move the car you have a problem with the clutch.
    Yes I definitely agree that could be the cause. Since that problem has already been discussed, my suggestion is to also check or report the gear oil situation. Reason being I had a C5 Corvette that had most of these symptoms and the solution was a gear oil change. It's a minor thing to check during the troubleshooting process.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 05-25-2018 at 05:08 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

I figured it out. I was pushing the clutch too far. I can turn the issue on and off by just backing off the clutch pedal. I adjusted the slave cylinder throw , problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC VIN 6639 View Post
    I figured it out. I was pushing the clutch too far. I can turn the issue on and off by just backing off the clutch pedal. I adjusted the slave cylinder throw , problem solved.
    Sweet! I love easy solutions!
    Dana

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast