FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: HVAC repairs questions

My VIN:    5482

HVAC repairs questions

Howdy all,

While I've still got the majority of my interior removed, I'm in the process of attempting to fix my HVAC. I noticed a few of the vacuum tees behind the radio disintegrated in my hands. Also I found a broken plastic lever that connects to a rod, which manipulates the vents (presumably floor versus console + door vents). I took a pic of the broken lever. I also have a worn out mode switch and a broken fain speed switch.

delorean_HVAC_20180526.jpg

My questions:

1. Can someone tell me what part # the broken plastic part is and where the lower piece connects?

2. Does anyone have a vacuum map for the HVAC lines in the dash?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

HVAC repairs questions

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    Howdy all,

While I've still got the majority of my interior removed, I'm in the process of attempting to fix my HVAC. I noticed a few of the vacuum tees behind the radio disintegrated in my hands. Also I found a broken plastic lever that connects to a rod, which manipulates the vents (presumably floor versus console + door vents). I took a pic of the broken lever. I also have a worn out mode switch and a broken fain speed switch.

delorean_HVAC_20180526.jpg

My questions:

1. Can someone tell me what part # the broken plastic part is and where the lower piece connects?

2. Does anyone have a vacuum map for the HVAC lines in the dash?

Thanks,
    The part is the center A/C door vacuum actuator. It is Not Available as a replacement part individually. Mine broke like that several years ago. I ended up just gluing it back together. I think I just used Super glue and crossed my fingers. So far it has held up fine. I know of others that actually fabricated a metal link piece that replaced the plastic one. I’ve seen photos of that repair posted on here but I don’t recall who the poster was. It looked fairly simple to make if you wanted to go that route. Another possible adhesive might be PVC cement. It somewhat melts the plastic causing it to fuse together. It Might be worth giving it a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    The part is the center A/C door vacuum actuator. It is Not Available as a replacement part individually. Mine broke like that several years ago. I ended up just gluing it back together. I think I just used Super glue and crossed my fingers. So far it has held up fine. I know of others that actually fabricated a metal link piece that replaced the plastic one. I’ve seen photos of that repair posted on here but I don’t recall who the poster was. It looked fairly simple to make if you wanted to go that route. Another possible adhesive might be PVC cement. It somewhat melts the plastic causing it to fuse together. It Might be worth giving it a shot.

Thanks for the info. What does it connect to on the bottom side?
    Jeff

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

HVAC repairs questions

The vacuum actuator is mounted forward and above in the view you took. The white plastic arm is the A/C door pivot shaft arm. When vacuum is applied the a connected actuator the arm is pulled forward to open the door that is visible through the two duct openings. You need to remove the RH knee pad bolster to get a better visual.
    The door assembly unscrews from the rest of the HVAC housing if you want better access to fix it. Its just screws around the perimeter.

The image here is upside down. But currently the only way to get a replacement actuator is too buy the whole air distribution housing.

http://store.delorean.com/p-7624-housing-air-dist.aspx

Last edited by DMC5180; 05-26-2018 at 10:11 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    6472

That part broke on mine too. I glued it and it broke again. If I remember correctly, I ended up using a tie wrap to permanently hold the metal rod open, so I could get air thru the center vents. This keeps the center vents always open and the defroster vents closed. It worked for me as I hardly ever need to use the defroster.

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Gregadeth View Post
    That part broke on mine too. I glued it and it broke again. If I remember correctly, I ended up using a tie wrap to permanently hold the metal rod open, so I could get air thru the center vents. This keeps the center vents always open and the defroster vents closed. It worked for me as I hardly ever need to use the defroster.
    The white piece is what broke on mine and I did exactly that - zip-tied the vent rod to always stay opened.

2.jpg
    Last edited by bytes311; 05-28-2018 at 01:44 PM.

Thanks. You guys rock. I was wondering about the DMCH store site picture orientation.

Maybe this would something for a 3D printer...
    Jeff