FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hot water valve

My VIN:    2347

Hot water valve

I am replacing the hot water valve, as the bypass that the previous owner put in failed, and I can't seem to find where the vacuum hose is that goes to it. Any suggestions?

Also in troubleshooting why my cooling fans did not come on at idle, I notice the Fan Fail relay was missing and it wasn't bypassed... Maybe that could be the issue?

Thanks,

David 2347
    Everyone is tough through a keyboard

My VIN:    16409

If your fan fail socket is empty you will never have the cooling fans come on. You need to install a jumper or buy one of Dave M's solid state fan fail relays.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

The vacuum hose comes from the driver's side pontoon, up in the corner, small diameter yellowish color. At least on mine, I am assuming all Ds are the same in this department.

Look at the upper left hand side of this pic: https://www.google.com/search?q=delo...kH6kM:&spf=198

Bypass the fan fail if you are in a hurry, fused jumper wire if you prefer or Bitsyncmaster's solid state if you like.
    Last edited by AugustneverEnds; 05-05-2017 at 10:34 PM.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    2347

I bypassed the relay as stated and still didn't work. I jumped the otterstat and the fans would run. So I'm not sure if I still have air in the system or a bad otterstat.
    Everyone is tough through a keyboard

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by davidc89 View Post
    I am replacing the hot water valve, as the bypass that the previous owner put in failed, and I can't seem to find where the vacuum hose is that goes to it.
    The OE hose is thin, stiff black plastic tubing, not a flex hose. It feeds out of the forward left wall of the engine bay (from driver side pontoon as mentioned) through a rubber grommet. On the end of it a short black coupling (rubber hose) connects it to the heater valve port.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

should you be able to depress the lever on the hot water valve by hand? I am trying to see if mine is bad. Doesn't move no matter what setting the switch is on at the console.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by hippieman9 View Post
    should you be able to depress the lever on the hot water valve by hand? I am trying to see if mine is bad. Doesn't move no matter what setting the switch is on at the console.
    Yes. Sounds like yours is seized.
    Rob

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Yes. Sounds like yours is seized.
    Rob
    Ok, I can depress it by hand, but doesn't seem to work with the mode switch.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by hippieman9 View Post
    Ok, I can depress it by hand, but doesn't seem to work with the mode switch.
    You can just pull the vacuum hose and connect another hose that has vacuum to test it. Or just check that vacuum hose for vacuum when the AC is set to MAX
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    You can just pull the vacuum hose and connect another hose that has vacuum to test it. Or just check that vacuum hose for vacuum when the AC is set to MAX
    So I have a vacuum tester, and I pulled vacuum on the hot water valve and it works, I traced the vacuum line to the mode switch to find that it was not plugged in. Also found that the flap under the passenger footwell wasn't working and that these work on the same vacuum line, Well the rubber line was unhooked from the Tee. I plugged it back in and the foot well flap moves slightly, and the hot water valve still doesn't move.... Looks like I must keep looking. Is there a diagram that shows what line goes where on the back of the mode switch?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast