FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Clutch Problem/Repair

Clutch Problem/Repair

My 1981 5 speed D with 22,000 miles has developed a clutch problem. Its beginning to slip rather badly. Reservoir is full and clutch is engaging at the top of the pedal travel. Shifter moves through all gears with no problem. Some of you might remember at our last meetup at Chis's house my car got stuck in gear and several of you helped move the shift gate somewhat to correct the problem. The clutch/trans shop said that should not have any affect on current slippage but he was afraid to tackle the problem. Anyone know of a good shop that could handle this clutch repair in the Atlanta area and a possible fair cost?

Thanks,
    Mark

My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Does the car have the plastic tubing for the hydraulic line? It can balloon out and cause all kinds of problems.....
    As far as needing a clutch, I have a shop near me in flowery branch that I trust, and they work on tons of exotics. Its ard motorsports. Tell them Ben the dent guy sent ya. 770 965 2322
    Soundkillr was here.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by MB2241 View Post
    My 1981 5 speed D with 22,000 miles has developed a clutch problem. Its beginning to slip rather badly. Reservoir is full and clutch is engaging at the top of the pedal travel. Shifter moves through all gears with no problem. Some of you might remember at our last meetup at Chis's house my car got stuck in gear and several of you helped move the shift gate somewhat to correct the problem. The clutch/trans shop said that should not have any affect on current slippage...
    Clutch/trans shop is correct. Shift linkage isn't related to clutch action.

Both the clutch fluid level and the clutch hose material only matter if you have a problem disengaging the clutch so strike those off list.

Slippage symptoms have been coming on slowly, are getting worse? And are worse when you accelerate hard? Then you are looking at new clutch. Order the parts, save what clutch life you have left and drive it to a shop. If the clutch completely wears out (disengaged) then it's a flatbed trip or you're doing it in your garage. And you may chew up the pressure plate or flywheel.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    03572

My clutch went out without any warning. I guess after the 1 hour drive that day just triggered the failure. It would suddenly slip when cruising. I could stop and most of the time get another few miles before it happened again. Did that about 5 times and then called a flat bed to take me home. So I can drive it in or out of the garage but would not trust any drive on the road.

School is almost out so I should have time to replace the clutch soon. I baby sit my 2 year old granddaughter 5 days a week and that takes all my time and energy. Her mom is a school teacher.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/