FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: A/C not working

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Awesome member

My VIN:    5292

A/C not working

Now that it has finally warmed up here in Michigan, I discovered I have a problem: no air conditioning. My car has a newer a/c system put in by the previous owner that has worked well. It was working when I put the car away for the winter. Here's what's going on...

The whole climate control system will turn off and on, the fan speed switch works just fine, and the rheostat seems to work fine (I can get heat or no heat on VENT). But other than turning the system off/on, the selector doesn't seem to do anything - whatever setting I put it on, air pumps out the main vents. When I put it on A/C or MAX the compressor does not kick on. When I put it on defrost, I don't feel any air coming through those vents that I can tell.

I checked the fuses, they are fine. I checked the coolant level and it was fine (on the low side of normal so I added a little).

Over a year ago I did some work on the radio so I thought maybe something had shaken loose, so I just pulled the whole center console out so I could see behind the controls and everything looks fine and connected. Again, everything was working last fall. This winter I did some work on the doors but nothing that should effect the a/c at all.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Chris

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

The rheostat controls the brightness of the lights on the instrument panel, it's the temp selector / thermostat you're turning for the heat/cold.

Defrost doesn't make use the AC on the DeLorean unless someone did the mod that I posted a very long time ago to the DML where you solder a piece inside the mode selector switch.

Get a set of gauges and see how much pressure you have in the compressor - if nothing then you've leaked it all out. If you have something it may be too low for the compressor to engage so you'd need to add more R12/R134 depending on what you're using. Again if this is the case, you've got a leak somewhere.
    Last edited by dn010; 05-31-2018 at 04:16 PM.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Air that blows out a vent has nothing to do with A/C system cooling. As long as your blower fan spins you will have airflow assuming the duct doors are opening according too the mode switch selection.

At this point you’re likely just low on refrigerant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Assuming he mean it literally, something is going on with the mode switch too since he didn't "feel any air at the defrost vents"...?

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Assuming he mean it literally, something is going on with the mode switch too since he didn't "feel any air at the defrost vents"...?
    True, I missed that line earlier. It is possible that the mode switch rubber vacuum seal disc needs replacement in addition to low or no refrigerant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.