FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Motor cuts after engaging the clutch

Motor cuts after engaging the clutch

Hi folks,

I was going thorugh older posts but not sure if I got the right information out of it. Therefore I take the liberty to 'present' my case in a new thread:

Idle speed was and is an issue with my DeLorean. Apart of the fact that idle/low speed regulator response is usually slow, the motor sometimes cuts after engaging the clutch when stopping at a road junction for example.

I checked the complete system and it seems that all components work as they should. I've also attached a video to show the reaction of the motor when throttling.

According to the information I found on the net it must be a defective RPM relay which can be replaced with an aftermarket solution as provided by e.g. dm-eng.weebly.com. Is this the right conclusion? Any other thoughts?

Thanks and cheers
    Philipp

My VIN:    03572

No it's not a fault of the RPM relay. If you find the engine stalls letting off the throttle, most times you can solve that problem turning the curb idle screw up (clockwise) a little.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Aside from your idle problem, I whole heartedly recommend the solid state RPM relay from Dave. It's a nice upgrade.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Will try turning the curb idle screw up a little. I hope it is that easy...

Cheers
    Philipp