FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Stuck in First Gear

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    I replied to this thread yesterday and there has been no response from you. By the look of that pic I'm thinking you're driving around with little to no differential fluid! It's probably way too late to make much difference but you really should check to see if you have any. From your limited but recent posts I'm also guessing you are a new owner. This forum contains good advice but it's always good to get feedback instead of a cold thread. This situation does not look good. Anyone agree? In any case I wish you good luck. You will need it.
    Rob
    I agree with this post. Most owners, especially new ones, do not know that the final drive has it's own fluid and must be checked separately. My advice to anyone with an automatic is to go over ALL of the on-car adjustments, checks, and settings, and check everything out as soon as they can after buying the car and any time there is a problem. If you get an auto and you don't know when the fluids and filters were last changed, then it is time to do it! As for the final drive, I have seen many with essentially NO gear oil in them and they don't make a sound and seem to be OK. Not a good idea to drive that way but once you get some gear oil in there they seem to do fine. One tiny drop once a week for 30 years and eventually there is nothing to drip anymore. An old British car rule, "If it stops leaking it is time to check the fluid level"!
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

As an auto owner, I figured out that the final drive oil is separate from the transmission and wondering where is the check for the final drive oil? Its probably obvious, I just havent looked for that yet since mine is up on jack stands (for as yet a still unknown time...hehe). I know my transmission is leaking somewhere, but I figure I'll check the final drive while im tackling other things.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    4665

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    As an auto owner, I figured out that the final drive oil is separate from the transmission and wondering where is the check for the final drive oil? Its probably obvious, I just havent looked for that yet since mine is up on jack stands (for as yet a still unknown time...hehe). I know my transmission is leaking somewhere, but I figure I'll check the final drive while im tackling other things.
    Up on jack stands or a lift is better. Drivers side on the final drive itself there are two plugs. Top one is fill, bottom one is drain. Open top one, stick your pinky finger in there. Gear oil is filled to the bottom of that top plug. If you feel oil inside, you're full. Don't undo the bottom drain unless you know for sure you have a way to re-fill it by getting the top one open first.

My VIN:    04629

I agree with all the above posts........CHECK YOUR FINAL DRIVE fluid level!!! I assumed things were fine, until one of the spider gears shaft sheared off, due to lack of gear oil. The car was dead on the road! (many, many years ago)

This was because I had not checked my fluids and it bit me hard........new final drive.

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iflights View Post
    Up on jack stands or a lift is better. Drivers side on the final drive itself there are two plugs. Top one is fill, bottom one is drain. Open top one, stick your pinky finger in there. Gear oil is filled to the bottom of that top plug. If you feel oil inside, you're full. Don't undo the bottom drain unless you know for sure you have a way to re-fill it by getting the top one open first.
    I added a photo showing the locations here: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10...l=1#post235380

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Ahh cool. Thanks for the info.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by ritztoys View Post
    I agree with all the above posts........CHECK YOUR FINAL DRIVE fluid level!!! I assumed things were fine, until one of the spider gears shaft sheared off, due to lack of gear oil. The car was dead on the road! (many, many years ago)

This was because I had not checked my fluids and it bit me hard........new final drive.
    I'm surprised you found someone to rebuild your differential. Most shops will reach for a whole transmission. I like rebuilding final drives but they rarely go bad. This case will prove the exception.
    Rob

My VIN:    04629

Well Rob.....actually this happened in the late 90's and at the time I got in touch with a gentleman from Ohio, who had a whole transmission and final drive (NOS) I couldn't afford the whole assembly, so we separated the assembly in my garage and I had a new final drive(yet to be installed).

I will say this was the most intense mechanical job I have ever done to my car, removing the transmission and final drive.

I'm sure my brother-in-law heard some new cuss words from me during the replacement of this assembly back into the car. There are some places where you have to "feel" to what you're doing, no way to see up in there!

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by ritztoys View Post
    Well Rob.....actually this happened in the late 90's and at the time I got in touch with a gentleman from Ohio, who had a whole transmission and final drive (NOS) I couldn't afford the whole assembly, so we separated the assembly in my garage and I had a new final drive(yet to be installed).

I will say this was the most intense mechanical job I have ever done to my car, removing the transmission and final drive.

I'm sure my brother-in-law heard some new cuss words from me during the replacement of this assembly back into the car. There are some places where you have to "feel" to what you're doing, no way to see up in there!
    Oh no it's a fun job! I particulariy like the placement of the 13mm metal mount bolts. I've done enough of them to know what a pleasure it is indeed.
    Hey whatever happened to our thread starter. Did Wyliewoodo decide to "Wing it"?
    Rob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2